Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ogaime?

As Madeleine develops more and more language capacity, she is ever able to express her wants and desires. One of the most helpful developments over the last month or so is her ability to ask for things again, rather than emitting a non-descript whine and a hand reaching in the direction of the desired item. Although I expect it to be as short-lived as her "At happoon?" phrase (which has long since morphed into the more correct, less amusing "What happen?"), she currently inspires much amusement in the members of the Rowe household with her request of "Ogaime?" when she wants a repeat of a particular thing. Sometimes her requests are somewhat general:

-"Ogaime? Mucus? Ogaime?" (meaning a track has ended on a CD and she wants to be sure more music is coming.)
-"Ogaime? Ice fweam? Ogaime?" (can you feed me another bite of ice cream, please?)
-"Ogaime? Dowa? Aunt tee-tee! Ogaime?" (Why oh why did you turn off the television when I wanted to keep watching Dora??)

At other moments, she is very specific about what she wants ogaime:

-"Ogaime? Cat? Doo-bee-doo?" (She wants to hear the Music Together track "Mississippi Cat," which features scat-like, vocalized rhythmic patterns throughout, over and over and over again.)
-"Ogaime? One? Wait a March Hare ogaime?" (She wants me to read her the Alice in Wonderland counting book for the umpteenth time in a row.)
-"Ogaime? Apple A-a-a? Ogaime? A and B?" (She wants me to sing "Apple, apple, A-a-a. Baby, baby, B-b-b," which is the only part I can remember from some kids' cassette we had at my childhood home.)

As mentioned above, I'm sure this will become "again" before too long; already the word is beginning to evolve from "Ogaime" into "ogain." I wonder if I'll really throw her for a loop if, once she is capable of clearly asking "again?", I request her more humorous pronunciation by saying "Ogaime ogaime?"

2 comments:

  1. Courtney, don't let her learn how to say things right!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, gee, one of my all time favorites. Here it is, so Madeleine can learn the whole song!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3S3OX6HQm4

    Love you all, Yiayai

    ReplyDelete