Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Nocturnal awakenings

I guess last night's excitement was stimulating enough to keep the girls from settling into a deep enough sleep; both kids had numerous awakenings during the course of the night. After falling asleep for a few hours, Madeleine began suddenly, animatedly babbling to herself at around ten of midnight, chattering away with such volume and velocity that it was keeping both Ethan and I awake. I went into her room to try and settle her, and found her laying on her back in her crib, looking as innocent as can be. I went and stood over her crib, ready to tell her it was time to go to sleep, when she buoyantly proclaimed "SHEEPIE! BAAAAA! BAAAAA!"

"No, no, it's time to go night-night," I told her sternly, popping her pacifier into her mouth and stroking her hair. She looked at me drowsily for a moment, then suddenly her eyes began to twinkle, and she shouted, through her pacifier, "MOOOOOOO!"

I decided it best to just leave her room and let her self-soothe to sleep.

Around 1am, Julia clomped up the stairs and into my bedroom, to give me the very urgent news: "Mom? Daddy put my new undies in my laundry basket."

What can one respond to that, besides, "Don't worry about it right now. Go back to sleep."

This morning, Madeleine is not belting out animal sounds, but she did at least perform a bit of her version of the "Dora" theme song on camera. She was somewhat distracted with the book she was flipping through (also Dora) and needed a little prodding from me to continue singing:

2 comments:

  1. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh my gosh - this was the most entertaining thing I've seen in a while. Blubbering through "D-d-d-d-dora" and the "you can lead the waaay!" part. This little stinker, I just love her so much and want to kiss her apple cheeks right off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, so sweet, trying to perform her commands while getting emotional that she's not getting Dora read! Love that little girl to pieces. Yiayia

    ReplyDelete