Friday, February 18, 2011

Sisterly love

Julia and Madeleine have been especially enamored with each other of late; Madeleine wants to do everything her big sister does, and Julia has really delighted in seeing Madeleine develop into a walking, talking kid and play-mate. Of course, sometimes I have to intervene, since Madeleine seems determined to do all of the "big kid" things Julia is doing, even if they're not actually safe for someone her size. I took the girls to Open Gym at the movement center in town yesterday, and had to monitor Madeleine as she attempted to swing from the parallel bars just like Julia. The big hit of open gym was the trampoline; Madeleine wanted to climb on every time Julia was jumping on it, and luckily, she quickly realized that it was more fun if she just got on for the ride rather than tried to stand and jump herself. She preferred to lay on her stomach with her chin in her hands, getting bounced up and down with each of Julia's jumps. My favorite part was when she would try to talk while being jostled around. "Aaaaaatzaaaaaat?" she would ask, like a bleating goat, attempting to lift her hand up and point at something as her body flailed around.

Julia has been a great "baby-sitter" for Madeleine as well, filling in with some of my duties if I'm tied up. Last night as Ethan and I were getting dinner things together, I discovered Julia reading Madeleine's favorite "ABC" book aloud to her. I tried to record it on video, but unfortunately, as soon as Madeleine saw me she wanted Mama to read it to her instead:



It has also become clear this week that Madeleine really notices Julia's absence while she's at school, although apparently in Madeleine's mind, anyone who is not home must be on the train, as she informed me, after we returned home from dropping Julia at school, "Daddy. Joowa. Choo-choo." Close, honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment