Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Maia for office, 2025

As yesterday was the big mid-term election day, Ethan and I hit the polls with the kiddos in tow. He took Madeleine into his little voting cubby and I took Julia with me. I tried to give her some sense of how the voting process works by explaining that I was coloring in the circles next to my choices with a black marker, but she was more interested in twirling around and singing in the narrow little voting booth, occasionally twirling into the occupied booth next to us and bumping up against some stranger's legs. After we voted and were headed back to our car, I told Julia that when she turns 18, she'll be able to vote in our country's elections too. Her response was, "Um, Mommy, when I'm 18, I think I'm going to vote for a girl named Maia." Now, it wouldn't be Julia without the subject of Maia the future nominee becoming her favorite thing to talk about all day, so she filled me in with all the stories about "the girl named Maia who I'm going to vote for." Maia is 16, and she has a big sister who is 18. So I guess by the time Julia is 18 and able to vote, Maia will be 31; therefore, she'll be running for an office other than president, unless the minimum age requirement changes by then. I promised Julia that if there is ever a girl named Maia on the ballot, I'll vote for her too.

And onto a different topic, Madeleine has adopted a new favorite sleeping position: on her belly, head turned, butt way high up in the air. Here's a photo of her sleeping in this butt-up pose:

1 comment: