Friday, March 26, 2010

Yesterday

Julia, like most 3 year olds, has a relatively limited understanding of time. In her view, anything that happened before the present day was "yesterday," whether it was a year ago, a few weeks ago, or literally yesterday. Since this can sometimes cause alarm in people (like when she told the baby-sitter "Yesterday I threw up in my bed," when it had really happened a month prior), I've tried explaining that yesterday is actually just the day that came right before this one, and if she wants to refer to a different day in the past, she can just say "The other day." This caused even more confusion, and before I knew it, Julia was saying "tomorrow" instead of "yesterday." (As Ethan put it, there are two options for describing anything besides today; "yesterday," or "tomorrow." So of the two choices, tomorrow would be the "other" day.) Julia just referred to three different "yesterdays" as we ate lunch this afternoon:

JULIA: Mom, are you eating leftovers for lunch?
ME: Yes, this is the tofu leftover from dinner on Wednesday.
JULIA: Mom, do you remember that yesterday when we were eating the tofu I thought it was too spicy and I just wanted bread instead?
ME: Yes, I remember you thought it was spicy.
JULIA: (eyeing the banana she's eating) Mom, do bananas grow in the ground like carrots?
ME: No, bananas grow on trees.
JULIA: Does basil grow on a tree?
ME: No, basil is like a plant that grows up from the ground. We pick the leaves off and cook with them.
JULIA: And do we cook with lettuce?
ME: Well, we don't usually cook with lettuce. We use it in our salad.
JULIA: Yesterday when I was at Katie's house Katie's mommy was pretending to be a doggie and she said, "Lettuce is disgusting!"
ME: (not bothering to point out that said incident happened about 3 weeks ago) Oh, really?
JULIA: Mom, do you know what I think is disgusting? Dasparagus.
ME: Well, asparagus is really good for you, so I hope that someday you'll like it.
JULIA: Do you remember yesterday when I was eating my dasparagus that I said I don't think I really like it?
ME: Yes, I remember that last week you didn't like your asparagus.
JULIA: Well, maybe when I'm bigger like 7 or 8 I'll like my dasparagus. Because I think that girls who are 7 or girls who are 8 like dasparagus, but I think that girls who are only 3 don't really like to eat dasparagus.

Perhaps when she's 7 or 8 and starts to like asparagus, she will ask me, "Mom? Do you remember yesterday when I thought dasparagus was disgusting?"

3 comments:

  1. Haha! Yes - who used to say that? Was it Shannon, or was it me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Court, you're funny. The last paragraph cracked me up in statistics class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate loves dasparagus. Maybe he can convince her of its gustatory value. But he won't eat the tips. If she eats the tips they'll be a good pair.

    ReplyDelete