Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mammals

Ever since witnessing my tummy grow big and seeing Madeleine as a newborn, Julia has been interested in how different animals have their babies. I've explained to her that mammals grow their babies in their tummies just like people do, which prompts her to ask about most every animal she encounters, "Mom, is a (fill-in-the-blank) a mammal?" If I answer in the affirmative, she'll assert, "Oh, so they have a baby in their tummy?" A few days ago she started asking me why people have hair on their arms and legs, which led to another discussion of mammals and how they have hair on their bodies, whereas reptiles, for instance, have scaly skin. She began classifying different animals as mammals and others as reptiles, and I was amazed at how well she understands the concept. Or so I thought... this weekend, we had a visit from Auntie Shannon, Patrick, and Clara the chihuahua, and when I tried to show Auntie Shannon my brilliant daughter's amazing understanding of mammalian properties, the following conversation ensued:

ME: Julia, what do you think dogs are if the mommies have the babies in their tummies?
JULIA Um, to a DOG hospital!
ME: no, what kind of animals are dogs if the mommies have babies in their tummies?
JULIA: PETS!

This led to me re-explaining the idea that mammals carry babies in their tummies, while reptiles lay eggs. She then held up Butt Crocodile and asked me if he's a reptile. I told her that yes, indeed he is, although in retrospect I probably should have told her that no, he's an amphibian, seeing as Butt Crocodile is really a tadpole:


Butt Crocodile

No comments:

Post a Comment