Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Yes, please, and other Julia-isms

Lately, in lieu of stating her wants as a demand, Julia has been attempting to use her manners, probably realizing that we're a lot quicker to satisfy her request immediately if she asks politely. We've been working on manners for what seems like forever, and some days it feels like it's all in one ear and out the other; however, clearly she has been absorbing all of the different polite phrases we're trying to teach her, to the point where she's gotten herself confused. Her newest thing is to say "yes please" after requesting something, rather than after being offered something appealing. As in the request she put forth this morning when going into living room to play:

"Mommy, can you turn the light on in here yes please?" (beaming at me proudly, waiting to be acknowledged for remembering to use her manners.)

I'm just so thrilled that she's asking politely rather than screaming, "Mom! Turn the light on!" that I don't want to risk trying to explain the difference of use between "please" and "yes please" for fear of losing the manners all together... at least not until the use of manners is more ingrained!

Some other random Julia quotes from the past few days:

"Mommy, would you like me to flashlight you and make you into God, and Mary and Jesus?"

"Mom, I'm so happy I have a nice mommy, not a mean mommy like Cinderella has."

"Mama, I can help you feed Madeleine when I'm bigger, when I grow up and I get breasts, I can feed her too." (Somehow I don't think Madeleine is going to go for that.)

"I love you, Mama. Sooooo much. I love you all the ways of yes." (I wonder if she loves me all the ways of yes please, too.)

And finally, two new imaginary characters have joined the house. They're invisible so I can't take their picture. Their names are Youcawanna and Mashannon.They're the friends of Laurie and Scott (two of her Little People figurines), and they're coming over in the morning. I'll let you know if I get the chance to meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment