Saturday, August 3, 2019

Madeleine's Aversion to Foul Language

For at least the past year, Madeleine can not abide language of any sort that has a mean or negative connotation.  This includes all swear words, but also words like "stupid," and "jerk," phrases like "shut up," and even more benign words like "fool."  Whenever she hears someone utter such a word, OR EVEN WHEN SHE READS IT SILENTLY, she is compelled to make a sound that she refers to as a "reer."  And by "reer," what she means is that she literally says the word "reer" in a squeaky voice.  Because she knows that's how you SHUT DOWN mean words like a BOSS.

ME: (driving) What is this car in front of us doing?  This person is driving like a moron.
MADELEINE: (in a high pitched squeak) REER!

or:

MADELEINE: (silently reading "Harry Potter" to herself) REER!
ME: What word?  Stupid?
MADELEINE: REER!
ME: Shut up?
MADELEINE: REER!
ME: Well, what is it?
MADELEINE: (pointing to whatever offensive word she just read)


Sometimes Madeleine takes great pains to cover up foul language. One of our family's favorite dance songs is "Shut Up and Dance With Me" by Walk the Moon.  Madeleine busts a move like none other when the song is, but she also makes sure to BELLOW over the song's chorus.

WALK THE MOON: (chorus) Oh, don't you dare look back, just keep your eyes on me, I said you're holding back, she said-
MADELEINE: CLOSE YOUR MOUTH and dance with me...


Tonight I guess I crossed a line with my own language.  I was snuggling Madeleine in her bed while she did her bedtime reading, and Julia chose to repeatedly stand outside of Madeleine's door and talk at the top of her lungs to Ethan, causing a ruckus.  Not only that, but in between her full-voiced chattering, Julia was doing Gallop Time, causing Madeleine's bed to shake with the loud gallumping and thumping going on in the hallway outside her door.

ME: (quietly, to myself) Julia.  Oh my goodness.  LOUD-mouth.
MADELEINE: REER!  Hmmfp. Don't call people names.

She showed me.  I vowed to quit my mud-slinging ways. 

On a side note, Julia has been ordered to gallop downstairs so that Madeleine is spared the thunderous sound of horse-like human feet clomping around outside her door.

No comments:

Post a Comment