Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Sparklies

Long-time readers will know that EVERY Christmas season for years, Madeleine has felt the need to announce "Sparklies!" each time she sees a house or business decorated with Christmas lights.  This "tradition" has gotten even more ridiculous this season.

MADELEINE: Mommy?  Do you know that instead of saying "Sparklies!" I decided to change it to "Sparklies: Yay!"?
ME: No, I didn't know that.

I may not have known about the change when she first told me about it, but I sure do now. 

Driving to swim team Monday night:

MADELEINE: Mommy?  Today at schoo-Sparklies: Yay! - we were - Sparklies: Yay! -  Uh...so, we were talking ab- Sparklies: Yay!  Reflecting sparklies: Yay! - about our persuasive essays - Sparklies: Yay!  Sparklies: Yay!  Reflecting sparklies: Yay! - and Mrs.- Sparklies: Yay!
ME: (not nearly as patiently as I should be speaking) Madeleine.  Either say "Sparklies: Yay!" for the whole drive and tell me the story later, or STOP saying "Sparklies: Yay!" until you're done with the story.  But when you're doing both at the same time, I can't follow your story.
MADELEINE: Okay.  Sorry.  I'm not gonna say it (blurting uncontrollably) Sparklies: Yay!  Sorry, I just had to say it.
ME: Honey, you need to try and control that urge.
MADELEINE: But it's my TRADITION!


I love this tradition.  I so look forward to after-dark drives through town during this time of year.  Does it take a whole car ride to get one complete sentence out of Madeleine's mouth?  Why, indeed it does, if that at all!  Sparklies: YAY!


1 comment: