Monday, February 26, 2018

The Pulley

Over the past week, Madeleine designed a handy-dandy pulley delivery system that I guess is going to stay attached to our stair railing forever (or until she gets tired of it):


(Apparently Madeleine feels that wearing fake glasses helps enhance the pulley experience.)

She has, so far, used this pulley to transport one flip flop up and downstairs.  It would probably be more helpful to use it on actual items that we are actively trying to pass from floor to floor, but I guess she is just in the "testing-it-out" phase.  Furthermore, this pulley system is accompanied by a special code.  If Madeleine has something to transport, she will bounce a bouncy ball in the bucket eight times.  If it's more or less than eight bounces, you know it's not Madeleine calling.  Julia has adopted two bounces as her signature code.  Therefore, the main thing that has been in the bucket is a bouncy ball, rather than any actual items to go up or down, but, as I said, she's still just testing it out.

Madeleine had a very rational explanation for why she wanted to install this pulley system in our house.

MADELEINE: So, I wanted to have a childhood like yours, and Auntie Shannon's, and Auntie Caitlyn's, and I felt like a pulley was like the stuff you did when you were a kid.
ME: Oh.  What kind of stuff did I do when I was a kid?
MADELEINE: Like, Auntie Shannon said you would play in the house being built, and I wanted to do something like that.
ME: So what about a pulley makes it feel like my childhood?
MADELEINE: It's like...you can pass stuff to each other in secret ways, so, like, we have our own code, so we know who it's from.


Okay.  Hmm.  Not sure I see how a tin bucket with a bouncy ball is the same thing as playing inside our family house as it was in the midst of being constructed, but I guess the important aspect here is the bouncy ball code.  I can't *wait* to hear the sound of rubber ball bouncing in aluminum bucket throughout the days.  But if it makes Madeleine feel like she's enriching her childhood, I'm all for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment