Saturday, February 10, 2018

A Musical Game

I was organizing my choral music alphabetically within three different binders when Madeleine had something urgent to tell me.

MADELEINE: Everybody, LISTEN UP!  I have an IMPORTANT announcement!
ME: Okay, what?
MADELEINE: See if you can guess!  (Going over to the piano) Okay.  See if you can figure out what I'm trying to tell you.
ME: Okay.
MADELEINE: (playing the following notes) C.  High C.  C-C-C-C.  High C.  C-C.  High C.  C-C.  High C.  C-C.  High C.  C-C-C.  High C.  C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C.
ME: Uh...
MADELEINE: Can you guess it?
ME: No...
MADELEINE: Come on, Mommy.  Try and guess it!  Here.  Let me do it again.  C.  High C.  C-C-C-C.  High C.  C-C.  High C.  C-C.  High C.  C-C.  High C.  C-C-C.  High C.  C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C.
ME: Honey, I have no idea.  You have to give me a hint.
MADELEINE: I can't!  Here.  Mommy.  See if you can try and figure it out by the letters.  Okay.  ONE letter. (Playing C.)
ME: Um..."I?"
MADELEINE: (delighted) Yes!  Okay.  (Playing the High C)  Space.  Okay.  Four letters.  (Playing C-C-C-C.)
ME: "Love?"
MADELEINE: No!
ME: Uh..."need?"
MADELEINE: Yes! (Playing the High C.)  Space.  Okay.  Two letters.  (Playing C-C.)
ME: Um.  "Me?"
MADELEINE: NO!
ME: Uh..."my?"
MADELEINE: NO!
ME: Um.  "To?"
MADELEINE: (delighted) Yes!  (Playing the High C.)  Okay.  Two letters.  (Playing C-C.)
ME: "Go?"
MADELEINE: (delighted) Yes!
ME: "I need to go poop?"
MADELEINE: Nope.  Okay. (Playing High C.)  Space.  Now.  Next:  two letters.  (Playing C-C.)
ME: Uh..."in?"
MADELEINE: No!
ME: "My?"
MADELEINE: No!
ME: I don't know, honey.  Can you just tell me?
MADELEINE: No!  Two letters.
ME: I don't know.  Can you give me a hint?
MADELEINE: It's two letters.  Hey!  I just said the WORD!
ME: Um.  "To?"
MADELEINE: Yes!  (Playing High C.)  Space.  Okay.  THREE letters.  (Playing C-C-C.)
ME: "The?"
MADELEINE: Yes!
ME: "I need to go to the bathroom?"
MADELEINE: Yes!  You got it!

I can understand why she needed to make such a fanfare of her important announcement.  Personally, I know that when I have an urgent need to pee, the first thing I want to do is come up with an elaborated coded musical game that takes someone forever to figure out in order to tell them I'm headed to the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment