Wednesday, April 19, 2017

From the Mouth of Madeleine

More Madeleine Wisdom:


After the Easter Vespers service, in which I read the Gospel in French and German:

MADELEINE: Mommy?  What country do they speak GERMAN in?
ME: Germany.  And do you know what country they speak French in?
MADELEINE: Yes!  Canada!!
ME: Well, yeah, a part of Canada is French-speaking, but there's another country...
MADELEINE: Oh!  I know!  Quebec!

This kid doesn't need schooling.  She's already so on the ball with everything.



While watching the Boston Marathon at the Mile 14 mark:

MADELEINE: (sighing dreamily) I *really* wanna run this race.
ME: What makes you want to run it?
MADELEINE: It's just REALLY FUN watching it.
ME: Watching this is really inspiring you, huh?
MADELEINE: I get inspired by EVERYTHING!

No kidding.  She's not also desperate to be a gymnast after "McKenna Shoots for the Stars" or an animal trainer after attending the "Amazing Animal Ambassadors" Show at the library or a famous dancer after watching "Dancing With the Stars" or anything.




Glancing at my most recent issue of "Bates" Magazine, on the cover of which "A just-married Lewiston couple pose at Lake Andrews":

MADELEINE: Mommy?  Does this magazine have people with DISABILITIES in it?
ME: Uh, not really...why?
MADELEINE: I just thought it would be really INTERESTING to read about people with disabilities.

I can understand why a woman in wedding dress and man in tux might be mistaken for people with disabilities.  But unfortunately the alumni magazine is a lot more about people getting married or dying or updating us on their careers than about people in wheelchairs (which is also her current dream, along with having a broken leg, after "McKenna Shoots for the Stars.")



While working on a new book she's writing and illustrating:

MADELEINE: Mommy?  I'm afraid that if this book gets published, people will think it says "Chapter S" instead of "Chapter 1."
ME: Why?  Because you wrote the 1 kind of squiggly?
MADELEINE: Yeah.
ME: Well, you know, when books are published, they're typed.  Have you ever seen a published book that's hand-written?
MADELEINE: Uh...no.
ME: So don't worry about your 1.
MADELEINE: So Mommy?  After we finish writing it, can we go to the place to get it published?
ME: Uh...
MADELEINE: Please please please Mommy?  Can I get it published??

As if I hold the power to determine that, right?
I was able, at least, to promise her that I can publish any of her books on my blog.  But if I do that, I'm afraid you readers will think it says "Chapter S," not "Chapter 1."




No comments:

Post a Comment