Wednesday, April 26, 2017

An Adventure During MCAS

Even though it's only a few days past April school vacation, it's a busy week for the 4th grade.  This week is MCAS testing week, and Julia has had a LOT of energy to expend after getting home from each day of sitting still, taking tests.  Let's just say I think the Mintz have had a LOT of new imaginary scenarios being concocted about them.

It helps that the past two days have been rainy, so the kids aren't missing outdoor recess time, but the weather came back to bite Julia in the butt just a little bit today.  First, let me back up and explain that despite the cold and rainy spell we're been experiencing, Julia is gung-ho about wearing short sleeves every day.

YESTERDAY
ME: Julia, it's supposed to be only in the 40s today, so I would suggest wearing a long-sleeved shirt.
JULIA: But I can't!  Because then I won't have worn short sleeves EVERY DAY since it turned to spring!

Sometimes OCD overrules common sense.

Today was equally cool and rainy, and the whole school got a nice fun dose of the weather when an unknown human accidentally pulled the school fire alarm (I'm inclined to believe the school about the "accidentally" part, but it's kind of hard not to imagine there was at least one kid who just wanted a leeeeetle break from MCAS.)  Apparently the entire school was stuck outside for quite some time, and while Madeleine doesn't have any complaints, Julia has repeatedly told me about how miserably cold it was.

ME: So what did you guys do when you were outside all that time?
JULIA: We just STOOD there, and, like, tried to get warm.  It was FREEZING.  I was REALLY wishing I had my coat.
ME: Well, maybe there's something to be learned from me telling you that you might want to wear long sleeves.

Julia disagreed.

Beyond the thought of the kids being outside in the cool rain, my main concern, upon receiving the email about the whole fire alarm debacle, was on Julia's anxiety.  She is so extremely freaked out by the thought of fire - AND rainstorms - that I was worried that she's been in panic-mode.  I tried to talk to her about this after school.

ME: So, honey, I was thinking about you and hoping you were okay.  Were you worried?
JULIA: Not really.  I was just FREEZING.
ME: Okay.  I was afraid you might have been freaking out.
JULIA: No, I wasn't freaking out because: first of all, it was RAINING, so...if there WAS a fire, the rain would just put it out.  And secondly, I didn't SEE any fire.  PLUS, the teachers were all, like, talking and making jokes, so I doubted it was anything serious.


WAIT.  A.  MINUTE.  Just...HOLD UP.  Where is this logic when Julia is at home?!?!?  Here are just a few examples of our panic vs. logic "discussions" in the midst or Julia's panickings.

JULIA: BUT...what if the rain turns into a THUNDERSTORM and lightning hits our house and STARTS A FIRE??!?!?
ME: Honey, it's raining.  Fires usually start in dry conditions.
JULIA: BUT WHAT IF LIGHTNING HITS OUR HOUSE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
ME: Well, the rain would put the fire out.
JULIA: BUT WHAT IF IT DOESN'T!?!?!?!?!?!?

or:

JULIA: The smoke alarm is going off!
ME: It's just because the cast iron pan was on the burner too long and there's a little smoke in the air.
JULIA: IS IT GONNA CAUSE A FIRE?!?!?!?!
ME: No.  It's not even on the burner anymore.
JULIA: THEN WHY IS THE SMOKE ALARM GOING OFF?!?!?!?
ME: Because smoke alarms are made to be extra-sensitive on purpose, so that if there ever WAS a real fire, the smoke would be detected before the fire got so big that it wasn't possible to escape.
JULIA: BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW THERE'S NOT A REAL FIRE RIGHT NOW?!?!?!?!?
ME: Because I don't see a fire, honey.
JULIA: BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THERE ISN'T ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


or:

JULIA: (about any random thing) IS THERE GONNA BE A FIRE?!?!?!?!?
ME: Honey.  Look at me.  Do I seem nervous?  If I'm calm, then you know there's nothing to worry about.
JULIA: BUT IS THERE GONNA BE A FIRE?!?!?!?!?!?!?


I'm at least glad that, for her sake, she was able to keep her anxiety under wraps while at school, and observe the social cues given by her teachers and friends and realize there was nothing to panic about.  I guess we'll have to keep working on the at-home paranoia, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment