Friday, March 24, 2017

Urgent News

If only I could climb into my kids' minds and understand what makes certain things they want to tell me SO urgent that they simply can't wait.


MADELEINE: (from somewhere downstairs) Mommy!  Can you come here?
ME: (in the midst of going through filed bills in the filing cabinet) Uh...hang on...uh...what is it?
MADELEINE: I wanna TELL you something!
ME: Can you come up here and tell me?  I'm in the middle of something and I don't want to lose my place.
MADELEINE: I'm on the POTTY!
ME: Oh.  Uh...okay...hang on...(finding the bill I was looking for and going to the downstairs bathroom) What is it?
MADELEINE: I'm gonna start writing a new book series and the first book is gonna be called "Born to Fly!"
ME: Ooh.  Sounds good.  Is it about fairies?
MADELEINE: No.  And the second book is c-all...is c-a...is c-all-

I sat there drinking in the stench of her toilet business waiting for her to spit out the word "called."

MADELEINE: Is ca-...is c-all...the second book is called "Born to Fly, Priscilla."
ME: Oh, wow.
MADELEINE: Yeah!  And EVERY book is gonna be ABOUT one of the characters, but, well, the FIRST book is gonna be about ALL of them.
ME: Wow!  Sounds really good!



So.  Definitely worth having me drop what I was doing and enter a smelly bathroom, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment