Saturday, March 4, 2017

A New Madeleine Drawing

I just found this drawing of Madeleine's:



All I have to say is: that is one big-ass bird flying over the tree.
Actually, I guess I have more to say than that.  What is that gray goblin-like giant doing to to the poor kid in the chair?  Enacting a mini-torture chamber experience?  Preparing to carry out a human sacrifice to please the gargantuan Bird-God of the sky?  And also, why is there a flying gray cat with a kangaroo pouch and no face flapping around in the air?

I'm scared.

I decided to find out what story Madeleine was creating with this picture.

ME: Madeleine, can you tell me about this drawing?
MADELEINE: Umm...so, that's a toad servant (pointing to the gray goblin), and that's the King of Nature (pointing to the person in the chair).
ME: And what is the toad servant doing to the King?
MADELEINE: Oh.  He's holding his CHAIR.
ME: But why does the King look so scared?
MADELEINE: Oh.  He's angry.  Well, he's angry a LOT. Because he complains about his chair.  His chair is tiny, and he doesn't have a crown.
ME: Oh, okay.  Tell me more about this picture.
MADELEINE: (pointing to the big blue bird to the right of the tree) That is the kind of bird that's blue and black, and that's her cousin the robin (pointing to the ginormous Bird-God), just flying in for a visit.  And that's a tree.  The King's chair sits in mud, so he complains about that too.  There's only a tiny amount of grass, and (pointing to what I thought was a blue mailbox) that's the treasure chest he found in the woods, and that (flying gray cat) is the squirrel and he's like, "I've lost it!  I can't live with this!"
ME: Why can't he live like this?
MADELEINE: Because the king is always complaining.


Okay.  Now that my perception on the picture has shifted, I have a few more things to say.
First of all: that is the most COLOSSAL robin ever to fly the skies of Earth.
Secondly: now that I know the King is kind of a pain in the ass, not a torture victim, I feel kind of bad for the toad servant.  I mean, poor guy is almost as tall as a tree, and all he gets to do with his height is hold the back of the King's chair?
Thirdly: I should have known that was a squirrel, not a cat.  How could I forget Madeleine's newest obsession??  And while I admire that the squirrel is out of patience with the King, I'm a little worried that he's about to get pierced by the mammoth beak of the mammoth robin flying straight at him.

I guess I'm still a little bit scared.

1 comment:

  1. A picture really is worth a thousand words, depending on who is interpreting, I guess.

    ReplyDelete