Sunday, December 18, 2016

The Victorian Era

Today, driving to church, I got to use a route that we haven't taken for ages, thanks to one of the most important roads between our town and the next being closed for 6 months.  Along the way, we remarked upon some sights that had changed since we last drove by.  I pointed out a grand old home that has since been painted hot pink.

ME: Woah!  Look at that color!
JULIA: I know, I was just noticing that.
MADELEINE: Wait, what was it?
JULIA: It was a bright pink Victorian house.
MADELEINE: What's a Victorian?
ME: A house that was built in the Victorian Era.
JULIA: Wait, Mommy, when WAS the Victorian period?
ME: I think, like, in the early 1900's.  Late 1800's into the early 1900's.
JULIA: Well Mommy?  The Mintz live in a Victorian house, but it was built in 1799.  But it, like, has turrets.
ME: Oh, okay.
JULIA: But wait.  Mommy?  If their house was built in COLONIAL times, but it's a Victorian style, what would you call it?
ME: I think houses are named by their architectural style and build.  So I guess you'd call it a Victorian.
JULIA: Okay, good.

I'm glad that I was able to reassure Julia about the historical validity of her imaginary family in their imaginary house.

Next thing I knew, Madeleine was trying to point out Victorian architecture.

MADELEINE: Wow, that BRIDGE looks like a Victorian bridge!  But...I really don't think like the ORANGE part.

I guess it's the bawdy color that stood out in Madeleine's mind as being related to the Victorian home painted hot pink.  Because I really don't see what's particularly Victorian about a bright orange concrete bridge over the turnpike.  Maybe it was built in 1799.  I'll have to check with the Mintz.

No comments:

Post a Comment