Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Either Or

So I thought it would be fun to play a very tame version of "Would You Rather" with the girls today.  What inspired it was Madeleine's desire to take, in her words, "basketball lessons," to learn the rules of how to play basketball.

ME: What if you could only choose one sport?  Would you choose basketball or swimming?
MADELEINE: SWIMMING!
ME: Really?  But you keep saying you want to play basketball.
MADELEINE: But I *love* swimming!!
ME: Julia, what would you choose if you could only choose one?  Honors Chorus or swim team?
JULIA: (anguished silence)
ME: You can still do both.  Don't worry.  I'm just asking for fun.
JULIA: (still anguished) I don't knoooooooooow!
ME: If you HAD to choose.
JULIA: Both!
ME: Okay, let's move on.  Madeleine.  Summer track or swim team?
MADELEINE:  Swim team!
ME: Okay.  Julia.  Band or swim team?
JULIA: (anguished silence)
MADELEINE: Julia, you CAN'T pick both!
JULIA: BOTH!
ME: But if you HAD to pick.
JULIA: (thoughtful silence)
ME: (waiting)
JULIA: Both!

A few moments later, Julia decided to turn the questions back on me in an attempt to prove how hard it was to choose.  Boy, did I show her wrong.

JULIA: (smugly) Okay Mommy.  Singing or running.
ME: Singing.
JULIA: (smugly) Flute or piano?
ME: Flute.

Then Madeleine took her turn.

MADELEINE: Me or running?
ME: YOU or running?  You, of course!
MADELEINE: I knew it!  Julia or running.
ME: Julia.
MADELEINE: Me or Julia?

Damn.  She got me.  I suddenly became a Julia.

ME: I could NEVER choose between you.  Both.

I just violated my own darn rules.  Way to go, Madeleine.  You called me out for the hypocrite that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment