Thursday, October 6, 2016

This or That?


Out of nowhere, as Madeleine was eating her dessert, she decided to pose an existential question:

MADELEINE: Mommy, which one do you like?  Pens or no pens?
ME: Uh...pens...?
MADELEINE: Pens or pencils?
ME: Uh...pens...?
MADELEINE: (looking disappointed) Pencils, I guess.
ME: Okay.
MADELEINE: Julia, ice cream, or YOU?  You, I guess.
JULIA: Me.
MADELEINE: I knew it.
JULIA: Madeleine, ice cream or s'mores?
MADELEINE: Both.  Okay, Mommy, now you do one!
ME: Umm...pumpkin pie or chocolate tofu pie?
MADELEINE AND JULIA: Chocolate tofu pie!!!

Sigh.  They both emphatically chose the ONLY kind of pie I don't make but Ethan does.

JULIA: Mommy.  Pumpkin pie or pumpkin BUTTER?
ME: Pumpkin pie.
MADELEINE: Mommy: pumpkin pie or pumpkin pie?
ME: Uh, pumpkin pie.
MADELEINE: Mommy.  Which one do you like better?  Your mouth, or your MOUTH?
ME: What??
MADELEINE: Okay, your mouth, or pumpkin pie?  Let me guess. Pumpkin pie.
ME: Well, I couldn't really live without my mouth, so I guess I'd have to choose that.

And now it's starting to get raucous.

JULIA: Madeleine, your mouth or your BUM?
MADELEINE: My bum!
JULIA: Me too. Because...it would be better not to TALK, than not to be able to sit, or go to the bathroom...
MADELEINE: (delighted) Or TOOT!

And now they are choosing between toots and burps.  Madeleine chooses toots, and Julia chooses burps, because "they don't smell as bad."  I think it's time to shut this game down and get these kids to bed.  Ethan's on it.

ETHAN: Brush.  Your.  Teeth.  Brushing or your teeth.  Are you gonna choose to brush, or you gonna choose to give up your teeth?

Luckily, the girls chose to brush, so they not have to sacrifice their teeth, AND Ethan and I can get the bedtime routine rolling.  Or at least we hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment