Saturday, October 22, 2016

New American Girls

Julia is creating an American Girl "catalog" featuring dolls with challenges, whether physical or mental.  Despite their uphill battles, however, these dolls have an upbeat attitude and an optimistic character!

Nellie McDoogle
Salem, OR
Age 11

I can't walk well.  I have cerebral palsy.  In my free time, I like to draw and play the flute.  I always manage to walk, even in hard times.



Emeryn Avi-Ava
Helena, Montana
Age 12

I was born with diabitees.  Everyone thinks I eat super unhealthy; I don't.  I enjoy ice skating and reading.  I never let anything drag me down.




Rosa Miles
Phoenix, AZ
Age 11

I've always had trouble sitting still.  That's because I have ADHD.  I like to sew and swim.  Even though I have trouble sitting still, I'm always able to find the way through.


October Goodman
Needham, MA
Age 10

Having asthma means I have trouble doing certain things. I enjoy track and ballet.  Though I have trouble breathing, it doesn't bother me.


Eliza Sweet
Austin, TX
Age 12

Uveitis is hard to handle.  I have to wear an eyepatch sometimes.  I like to horseback ride and write.  Even though I have uveitis, I'm always able to see the good.


Ava Strinetski
Orlando, FL
Age 12

As a kid growing up with dyslexia, I've always thought I've been behind in school.  I like to do gymnastics and knit.  Although I have trouble in school, everything ends up being okay.


Lucy Awaki
Honolulu, Hawaii
Age 10

Having anxiety is hard, because I'm afraid of so much. I like to surf and snorkel in my free time.  Although I'm afraid of lots, I'm not afraid of finding out who I am.



Adara Roseank
Juneau, Alaska
Age 11

I have trouble learning in a classroom with lots of people, so I'm in a 4 student classroom.  I like to go sledding and skiing.  Even though I'm in a 4 student classroom, I always find a way through.


I love this catalog!  What a sweet sentiment in showing how kids rise above various challenges.  Even if Julia did seem to be grasping at straws when she gave one of her dolls uveitis (which just happens to be the very issue for which Auntie Shannon went to the doctor yesterday.  No coincidence there at all.)  If these dolls were real, I would totally be buying them for my girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment