Friday, December 11, 2015

Snuggle Time

Tonight I told Madeleine that I would snuggle her at bedtime as long as she didn't do any chit-chat. 

Here are some of the things she felt were so urgent to say to me that she broke the "no chit-chat" rule.

Breaking the no chit-chat rule #1:
-"Mama?  What happens when a bomb EXPLODES?"

My brief explanation led her to tell me about how she now feels scared because what if one of our neighbors has a bomb.  I then told her that, in that case, our neighbor would be arrested because bombs are illegal.  She then wanted to know how you make a bomb work.  I decided we were done talking about that subject.

Breaking the no chit-chat rule #2:
-"Mama?  How come you keep saying there's church on Christmas, even though Christmas is not on a Sunday?"

Apparently, in Madeleine's brain, church is only on Sundays.  Not on major Christian holidays or anything.  The above led to the next question, after a few moments of silence.


Breaking the no chit-chat rule #3:-"But Mama?  So, there's church on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day, and...what's the fancy word for the day AFTER Christmas?"

I have no idea.  I don't think there is one.  Go to sleep. 



Breaking the no chit-chat rule #4:-"Mama?  At Fairy Tale Fitness, I was thinking for the Jack and Jill activity, they would have the mats really REALLY super high, or...they would have, like, a big high hill made out of PLASTIC."

Yeah.  Fairy tale fitness was October 30.  Why are we thinking about that at bedtime tonight?  Well, why not?!?



Breaking the no chit-chat rule #5:
-"Mama?  I think I know WHY, but...at lunch, Julia hugged my friend MORE than me.  I think it was because I was drinking my water bottle, and, like, I  had to hold the bottle in ONE hand, and the cap in the OTHER hand, and that's hard to do.  And Mama?  I was so happy, because...my water bottle didn't SMELL like it did yesterday."

The reason why her water smelled yesterday was because she had secretly been nursing a Poland Spring bottle over the course of a week, drinking a few sips at night and putting the bottle on the ground by her bed.  I can't even imagine how gross it must have smelled and tasted as it continually collected her mouth bacteria.  It's no wonder today's previously unopened bottle that I packed in her lunch didn't smell bad.  But...all of that is BESIDE THE POINT right now because it's NO CHIT-CHAT SNUGGLE TIME.


There were a million other rule-breakings so I gave up.  Snuggle time is officially OVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment