Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mothers Day in the Rowe Household

Yesterday, Madeleine cried upon learning that Julia had made me a whopping TWO gifts for Mothers Day.

ME: Madeleine, honey, you don't need to cry.
MADELEINE: (sobbing) Yes I DOOOOO, because I don't have enough presents for you for MOTHERS DAAAAAAY!  I only have ONE, and Julia has TWOOOOO!

While it's true that Madeleine cries over just about anything, this one was definitely legit, because everyone knows that Mothers Day is ALL ABOUT MADELEINE, right?

So Ethan took Madeleine out with him to run errands and pick up a special something for me for Mothers Day.  They were super-stealth about it and fit the trip in between grocery shopping and a run to the town dump, so there was mystery surrounding where they might have gone to get my gift. 

That is, until Madeleine decided to accidentally spill the beans.  As I went out to our back deck, book in hand, to enjoy the sunny afternoon, Madeleine was suddenly alarmed enough to stop her solo pretend-play of "Power Puff Girls."

MADELEINE: (running up to me) Uh, Mama?  Can I see your book for a second?  (examining the cover) Okay, GOOD.  I was afraid it might be the same book that I got you for Mothers Day.

Wait.  Should I go out on a ledge and guess that Madeleine got me a book??

I guess that she made a smart choice, however, seeing as, according to Ethan, the first two ideas she had for a gift were nail polish and a Barbie doll.

This morning, when I woke up, I discovered my wrapped gifts on the table, awaiting opening.  The girls were downstairs watching a show, so Ethan called down to them to let them know I was awake.

JULIA: Madeleine, pause the show!
MADELEINE: Wait, Julia, what are we going upstairs for?  Milk?
JULIA: No, MOMMY!

As usual, Madeleine always knows what's what.

I sat down at the table to open my cards and presents. 

Julia, who does not read cards all the way through before buying them (one might remember the Valentines Day card she got for Ethan that references all the things that are great about him, including "the sexy thing"), had gotten me this lovely card:

Outside cover: "I'm not sure how I got lucky enough to have someone so special in my life"



Inside message: "thanks for being just like a mom to me."

Once again, Julia absolutely nailed it with her choice of card.


I was also the very lucky recipient of a brand new book, written by Julia! 


Tara and Ahdara's Mothers Day Gift
Julia Rowe


For Mom - happy Mothers Day!


"It was almost Mothers Day.  Tara and Ahdara had to find the perfect gift for there mother.  'I have an idea!  Lets go to the store!' Tara suggegeted.  'Ok,' agreed Ahdara.  And they went and there they found the perfect gift."

Okay, if these pictures are to scale, I totally want one of those life-sized coffee mugs, because that's just about the amount of coffee I need to get through each day.


 "So Tara and Ahdara paid for the mug and went home.  'Do you think that Mom'lle like our presants?' Tara asked ancaisly.  'Oh yes!  The lady at the store said it was a mans best friend.' Ahdara replied.  So they wrapted the presant."

Wait.  A man's best friend?  Did Tara and Ahdara ditch the mug idea and get their mom a dog?!?  I would feel ancais too, if I had made the executive decision to get my mother a dog.  But wait.  The long-fingered Gumby hands are definitely paying for a purple mug, right?  And dang it, it looks much smaller than it was on the previous page.


 "At dinner the girls were quiet.  They didn't want there surprise to be spoiled.  That night at bed, Ahdara looked down at Tara.  She grinned hapily."

 Way to keep a secret, girls!  Madeleine should totally take a lesson from you.



"Tara flung herself on Ahdara.  'Oh Ahdara, wake up!  Its Mothers day!'  The girls ran downstairs.  'DAD!' Ahdara shouted.  'We need you to make pancakes!'  'OK!"

Speaking from experience, their mommy probably didn't appreciate the shouting, as every mother wants MOST OF ALL to sleep in on mothers day.  Or any day.  Really, any chance for sleep is welcome.



"Girls, I'm ready to open my presant!' there Mom called.  There Mom tore open the wrapping paper.  And out came - a mug!"

I think Julia forgot to write the part where Ahdara says "Tara, pause the show!" and Tara says "What are we going upstairs for, milk?" 


"And a letter came with it.  Dear Mom, we hope you like this mug!  XOXOXO.  Love, Ahdara and Tara.  Well folks - Ahdara and Tara's presant was huge success.  I need some coffee."


I couldn't have spoken truer words myself than the last sentence.

I also received real, published books (surprise, surprise!) from Madeleine and Ethan, as well as several fancy wines from the latter.  Because Ethan knows that the only drink a mommy needs as much as coffee is wine.

To top it all off, Madeleine made me a card and spelled the words inside all by herself!:






I love it!  Thanks, Mads.  I'm pretty sure with kids like these I'm definitely going to have a Hab Mthes Da!

1 comment: