Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Finger Worries

As we were driving home from a play-date this afternoon, the girls joyfully opened their car windows to enjoy the fresh, warm spring air.  And then, in a completely bizarre role-reversal, Madeleine became the one to voice a series of completely irrational worries, while Julia scoffed at the face of danger.

MADELEINE: Julia, don't put your hand out the window like that!
JULIA: Madeleine, I like to.
MADELEINE: But Julia.  Birds might think that your fingers are WORMS, and they might try to eat your fingers off!
JULIA: Madeleine.  No they WON'T.
MADELEINE: But Julia.  You SHOULDN'T put your hand out the window!
JULIA: I do this all the TIME, Madeleine.
MADELEINE: (after a few moments of peaceful silence) Well Julia, you might hit your hand against the TREES when we're driving by them. 
JULIA: I'm not gonna hit my hand against TREES, Madeleine.
MADELEINE: Uh, Julia, I really think that a bird might think your fingers are WORMS and eat them off your hand!
JULIA: (condescending) Madeleine.  A bird would NOT think my fingers are worms.  A bird wouldn't try to eat them off me.  A bird would be SCARED to come that close to a human in a car.
MADELEINE: Well Julia.  Now I'm thinking about scraping your hands on BUILDINGS.

At this point, I decided to intervene.

ME: Madeleine, is it making you feel nervous that Julia is hanging her hand out the window?
MADELEINE: Mmm-hmm.
ME: Why, honey?
MADELEINE: Because.  Mama.  I worry about birds thinking my fingers are worms and trying to eat them off ALL THE TIME.


She does?!?  I had no idea that anyone on earth ever worried about that.

In other news, Madeleine apparently decided to hang some more of her artwork on the wall with tape, without me knowing about it.  I discovered this unidentifiable piece of surrealist art on the dining room wall today:






I'm not sure what this is supposed to be a picture of, but I'm pretty sure it is something to do with (what else) Power Puff Girls.  Sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment