Wednesday, February 4, 2015

More Randoms

The kids have been full of random amusing comments over the past day.  Here are a few of my favorites:

During "My Little Pony," as the youngest ponies tried to come up with a name for their club (which eventually gets named "The Cutie Mark Crusaders"):

APPLE BLOOM: How about "The Three Strikes?"
SCOOTALOO: That sounds like you struck out!

MADELEINE: (calling upstairs to me) Mama?  I think three strikes would be GOOD, because...it's good when you get a strike in bowling.

Yeah, that's right, three strikes in bowling is a turkey!  Forget "three strikes and you're out."  Strikes are forever more a GOOD thing.



This morning, as Julia and I were in the bathroom brushing our teeth:

JULIA: Mom?  Isn't it so weird that things that are so, like, ORDINARY are things that people WANTED in the olden days when they hadn't been created yet?
ME: Yes, that is weird.
JULIA: It's like...(sarcastically) "Oh, WOW, a LIGHT BULB."

Now, I have to say, I see things a bit differently than Julia.  Instead of seeing things in the olden days as not having been "created" yet, I am often baffled by the fact that all the science and elements and everything have been there THE WHOLE TIME, but it took thousands of years to actually figure out how to combine things properly and use what resources the earth provides.  But I get what she's saying.  Flushing our toilet would have seemed like a novelty back in the day of chamber pots, or worse, communal dumping pits, but today we're just like, "Oh, WOW, a TOILET."




At the dinner table, as Madeleine played with three pencils:

MADELEINE: (singing) We're all together like a family, we're all together like a family... Mama.  Why do you think the Valentimes pencil is NOT part of the family?
ME: (studying the pencils) Uhhhh...

I was completely stumped.  See if you can figure out why the Valentimes pencil is not part of the family:

ME: Uhhhh...is it because it's not a Halloween pencil like the other two?
MADELEINE: (exasperated) No.  Mama.  It's because the Valentimes pencil is Alaska's FRIEND.

Okay.  Not the answer I was expecting.  But on second thought, I guess I should have known that.  DUH.  How could I not intrinsically know that one of the pencils is named Alaska and that the Valentimes pencil is named McKenna (another detail I just learned) and is Alaska's friend, NOT her family member?? 

Furthermore, Madeleine just informed me that Alaska's friend McKenna is taller than Alaska's mom.  So I guess Alaska, being the newest pencil and therefore the tallest, ALSO doesn't fit in the family because she's way taller than the other two in the pencil family.



And finally, after dinner:

MADELEINE: Mommy?  You're the EIGHT-EIGHT best.
ME: I'm the AA best?
MADELEINE: No.  The EIGHT-EIGHT best.
ME: What's the eight-eight best?
MADELEINE: It's because I love Julia, too.

Oh.  Well, that certainly answered my question about what the eight-eight best is.  Madeleine is always full of such sense and logic when she speaks, wouldn't you agree? 


No comments:

Post a Comment