Friday, February 20, 2015

Abstract-Random Contenders

Julia and Madeleine both have extremely Abstract-Random thought processes.  I'm not sure which of the following most recent remarks and conversation topics would win top prize for "Most Random Thing EVER," but they're definitely all contenders.


#1
MADELEINE: (calling from the toilet) Mama?  Do you know where the PURPLE elastic is?
ME: I don't, honey.  (Walking by the bathroom to see Madeleine with her bum off the toilet, digging through a drawer) Honey, put your bum back on the potty while you poop.
MADELEINE: (deflated) Okay.
ME: Why do you need the purple elastic?
MADELEINE: Because!  I play with it while I'm pooping!


And knowing Madeleine, the purple elastic probably has a name and a back story and everything, just like her pencils do.


#2
MADELEINE: (beginning to wash her hands after finishing her toilet business) Mama?  I haven't DECIDED yet if I'm only gonna pick my nails on THIS side, because...then they'll be growing SLOWER than the nails on this hand.


I can understand her conundrum.  Sometimes when I'm sitting there with a stuffy nose, I am unable to do anything about my mucus-load because I'm frozen with indecision.  I can't DECIDE if I should only pick the nostril on ONE side because...then the mucus will be draining slower into that nostril.


#3
JULIA: Mommy?  Why do I feel like there's a Beatles song with the words "Bang Bang Rich Man Clack-ma-torium?"
ME: Uh, there isn't.



#4
JULIA: Mommy?  I decided to change Max, Justina and Jessica's ages because I  needed to make them the right ages for their grades.
ME: You mean the Mintz people that you make up and think about when you're galloping?
JULIA: And when I'm trying to think about stuff to fall asleep.  And sometimes when I'm not playing with anyone at recess and I'm on the swing, I think about them.
ME: What made you decide to change their ages?
JULIA: Well, like...I needed to...well, like...So.  For Jessica, I didn't want it to be her FIRST year of college, I wanted it to be, like, her THIRD year, or something.  And Max and Justina, I made them be in Grad School, but I made them too young, so I had to make them older.


I'm not sure what I like more about the above conversation.  The fact that Julia felt the need to tell me that she had arbitrarily changed the ages of the imaginary people she fantasizes about while she gallops, or the fact that Julia feels the need for her imaginary people from an imaginary family to have realistic ages to coincide with the grades she has imagined them into.

1 comment:

  1. There are no words for what a weirdo Madeleine is Courtney. And boy did you predict correctly about the purple elastics having names and backstories (although I guess apparently they're just pencils that turned into elastics so maybe they're just the pencils still...). Julia is so adorable I can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete