Thursday, May 29, 2014

Readers' Theatre

Julia had her 1st grade Readers' Theatre performance for parents and other family members this morning.  Julia herself was part of a play about Sally Ride, with Julia playing the title role. 




The whole class also performed several songs, and the whole presentation was absolutely adorable.  Julia, who has no trouble bellowing out, heart and soul, while at home, preferred her more reserved school persona during the performance.  But at least, unlike the early preschool days, she actually does sing along now, albeit a bit shyly (while repeatedly playing with and tossing her braids over her shoulder.)












Bravo, Julia!

Madeleine was at school during the big performance, but Ethan was able to join me in the audience and get a big Julia hug after it was over:






Madeleine is now home from school and hanging out with me, which generally entails taking out a ton of art supplies and toys, asking me repeatedly for help with things, and then leaving the piles all over the place once she moves on to the next task.  In an attempt to dissuade her from doing Magnetic Mosaics with 1000+ teeny-tiny mosaic tiles, I actually offered up tv as an alternative.

MADELEINE: Uh, Mama, can you help me with this? (handing me a tile)
ME: Well, I was was wondering if you want to watch a show.
MADELEINE: Uh, YES!
ME: Okay.  So let's clean up the mosaic tiles.
MADELEINE: Well, I want to do BOTH.
ME: Well, I don't really want to put on a show until all these tiles are cleaned up.
MADELEINE: (talking to me like I'm an idiot) Well MAMA, I can do BOTH at the same time.  I have TWO EYES.

Yeah, well, unless one of them was a lazy eye, there was no way she was going to be able to focus on both at once, so I made her use her two hands to clean up the tiles. 

All moms know that sometimes, TV can be your best ally.



No comments:

Post a Comment