Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Bedtime Marathon

As I have stated more than once, there is never a dull moment in the Rowe household.  (And, really, what household with young children DOES have dull moments??)  Even such a simple thing as bedtime can sometimes turn into a marathon event.

Madeleine has been going through a MAJOR "Mommy" phase, needing to be pried off of me when I drop her at school, crying for me while baby-sitters are here, and what not.  While she is (THANKFULLY) starting to move on from this stage, she still often makes a fuss about wanting mommy over any other adults at bedtime.

Last night, Ethan had the gall to offer to do Madeleine's bedtime routine.

ETHAN: So can I put you to bed tonight?
MADELEINE: Uh, I want MAMA.
ME: Why don't you have Daddy put you to bed tonight?  You can get some special Daddy time!
MADELEINE: I want MAMA.
ME: How about Daddy reads you one book and I read you one book?
MADELEINE: (brightly) Okay!  (thoughtful for a moment) Wait, Mama!  I have an idea!  How about YOU read me one book, and then...you read me ANOTHER book, and then you sing me a song and snuggle me?

In other words, Madeleine's idea was for me to do her entire bedtime routine.

Luckily, Ethan managed to win Madeleine over and was graciously allowed to read the first bedtime story to her.

Julia, on the other hand, rejected BOTH of her parents for bedtime in favor of Auntie Shannon.  As Julia put it, "Mommy, I feel like I never get any AUNTIE SHANNON time anymore, because, like, she's at WORK and stuff."

Yes, Shannon.  You should be taking time off from work to focus on your REAL priorities here: entertaining Julia.  Forget about the paycheck.  Your niece will pay you in words, as her diarrhea of the mouth always seems to start spewing out when she gets a chance to fill you in on every single thought in her mind.  Usually early in the morning.  When you're trying to sleep.

At any rate, all the adults got a little bedtime story action, and the girls got their lullaby in very contrasting ways.  For Julia, Auntie Shannon played a YouTube video of a pop song Julia loves.  Per Madeleine's request, I sang her "Let it Go."  Now, this song is not a particular favorite of mine, but thanks to my girls and their near-constant singing of it, I have pretty much every word down pat.  As I sang to Madeleine, she decided to jump in and bellow along with me, and furthermore, once I had finished, Madeleine chose to perform a solo medley of EVERY SINGLE song from "Frozen."  When I left her bedroom, she was still belting out the various songs so loudly that it was keeping Julia awake.

Once the calm started to settle in upstairs, Ethan decided to seize the moment and get into the bathroom.  Seeing as both girls had been in and out, brushing teeth, peeing, combing hair, etc before we put them to bed, this was the first real chance for him to get in there and shut the door with some privacy.

No sooner had he done so than Madeleine padded downstairs, eyes drowsy, to announce, "Mama?  I need to go PEE."  I instructed her that she needed to wait because Daddy was on the toilet, and next thing I knew, we had yet ANOTHER little friend standing outside the bathroom door.

JULIA: (brightly, as she knocked on the door) Daddy?  Can I come IN?
ETHAN: Uhhh, NO.
JULIA: But Mommy!  I need to peeeeeeeeee!
ME: Well, you'll have to get in line.  Madeleine is next after Daddy gets out of there.

Ah, the joys of having only one bathroom and five people living in the house together. 

Before I knew it, Julia had launched whole-heartedly into Gallop Time, so not only were both girls out of bed, but Julia was leaping joyfully through the living and dining rooms, back and forth, back and forth.

ME: Julia, you're GALLOPING now?
JULIA: Mommy, I can't HELP it!  I just started thinking about that SONG Auntie Shannon played for me!

When Ethan emerged from the bathroom, the girls got a chance to use the toilet, and both kids insisted on being walked (or, in Madeleine's case, piggy-backed) up to their beds and snuggled.  When Ethan and I were once again free of bedtime duties, we retired to our own room to watch tv. And sure enough, the loud, piercing sound of a kid wailing filled the air.

ME: Hang on.  Turn off the tv.  Is Madeleine crying?
ETHAN: (turning down the volume) I don't know.
MADELEINE: (from her bed) IIIIIIIIIII dooooooooooon't caaaaaaare what they're goooooooooooing to saaaaaaaaaay!  Let it gooooooo, let it gooooooooo...
ETHAN: No, she's singing.
ME: Should we go tell her to be quiet?
ETHAN: Who cares?  As long as she stays in bed and leaves us alone, let her sing.

So we did. 

During the opening credits of the show we were watching, we heard footsteps thumping up the stairs, and suddenly the bedroom door started creaking open.

ME: Julia or Madeleine?
JULIA: (poking her head in, looking sheepish) I caaaaan't fall asleep.
ETHAN: Julia.  You've been in bed for ten minutes.
ME: Just go read until you get tired.
JULIA: (smiling) Ooookay!

So we dispensed of both kids, who found their own forms of self-entertainment, and fell asleep later than we would have liked, but without another intervention from us. 

After an hour and a half of trying to get them to bed, it turns out the solution was to follow Madeleine's advice and let it gooooooooooo, let it goooooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment