Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Books and Artwork

When Ethan and I got home late last night from a chorus rehearsal, we discovered that Julia had been hard at work on a new book while our baby-sitter was here.  Although the kids were asleep at this point, the evidence of Julia's writing and illustrating was right on her art table:

For those of you who don't read kindergarten spelling, the title of this book is "Well That Kid Was Not Potty Trained Enough," by Julia Rowe.

I'm going to spare you the majority of the details of this book, although I'll give you the basic plot summary: little Meggin just can't seem to get her poop onto the potty, and instead poops in just about every venue Julia could think of.  Friends' houses, restaurants, on the swing at the park, you name it.  Even here:

Meggin pooping at a myusam, at shcoole, and at her huse.

Julia was particularly proud of the picture on the right, and wanted to make sure I gave credit where credit was due.  After reading the page to me, and noticing that I wasn't really paying careful attention to the picture, she pointed proudly at the black poop tornado and said flamboyantly, "That's a LOT of poop!"

Between Poopy Uncle Pants, "All the Single Bums," and this new book, you can see the kids are really obediently heeding our "no potty talk" requests.

This morning, Julia got to work on yet another art project; this time, she decided to make a surprise for her sister.
JULIA: Mom?  I thought I would make Madeleine her OWN "Star of the Week" poster because I think she was REALLY wanting to make one when I did mine for school.

Here is the finished masterpiece, in which Julia covered every one of Madeleine's favorite activities and topics:
Off in the left upper corner, you can see Madeleine in a pool, because "Well, I was thinking about how she's going to start SWIM LESSONS this summer."  The upside down writing with the orange blob is a pumpkin, and the statement "I like Hilween," and the green triangle in the left-center is a Christmas tree for "I like Christmas."  There is also a heart for "I like Valentines Day," and a picture of Madeleine doing ballet as well as Madeleine with a "culring book."  Since they have been watching "The Muppets Christmas Carol" again lately, Julia thought to write "I like Mupits."  Best of all, Julia addresses her sister's current obsession, adding "and I like Simba." 

Understatement of the YEAR.
 
Julia and Madeleine even worked together to draw Simba on this poster, which explains the sad-looking dog-like creature at the bottom center of the paper.

Given that Julia made this poster on an empty wrapping paper tube, I think I might have a hard time honoring her request to hang it on the wall while she's at school, unless I pound some nails into it or plaster the edges with duct tape.  However, for the moment, both girls are extremely content with the Star of the Week poster; Madeleine because her big sister made something so special for her, and Julia because: "Mom?  I can tell that Madeleine REALLY loves it!"

Speaking of things that Madeleine loves, we picked up a new coloring book today, and Madeleine has been in seventh heaven coloring Princess Cadance and all of the other My Little Ponies.  Julia sure hit the nail on the head when she included a picture of Madeleine with a culring book in her poster.  We definitely have a budding little artist on our hands in Madeleine, with her freakishly amazing coloring skills.

However, while this child can color in the lines like it's nobody's business:


She will also drop comments like this one:
MADELEINE: Cock-a-doooodle-dooooooo!  Mom!  I did my DUCK!

She is a GENIUS.


3 comments: