Thursday, August 9, 2012

Stinkers

So, it turns out the kids both think their parents stink.  Literally. 

Everytime I try to kiss Madeleine, here is what happens:

ME: (smooshing a big kiss onto her cheek) I love you!
MADELEINE: (writhing to get away from me) No, that's COFFEE BREATH.

I thought at least that Julia had a higher opinion of my odor, but I learned the harsh truth the other day as she and I were snuggling on the couch.

JULIA: Mommy, sometimes when I come into the bed to snuggle Daddy in the middle of the night, he doesn't even wake up, and I just conk right and don't realize I fell asleep.
ME: I know, Daddy is really cozy, isn't he.  He's so nice and warm.  I love snuggling him too.  And I also love the way he smells.
JULIA: (grinning) Mom, you're being SARCASTIC!
ME: No, I'm not!  I really do love the way he smells.  Don't you think Daddy has a particular smell?
JULIA: Well, he DOES have a smell.
ME: And what kind of smell is it?
JULIA: (gleefully) STINKY!
ME: You think Daddy's stinky?
JULIA: Well, he just SMELLS stinky.
ME: Huh.  Well, do you think I have a particular smell?
JULIA: You DO.
ME: And what do I smell like?  (awaiting my compliment of "flowery" or "vanilla-y" or something along those lines.)
JULIA: (mixture of glee and hesitation) STINKY!
ME: I smell stinky too?!?
JULIA: (consolingly) Well... it might just be your ARMPITS.

So that's it.  Here Ethan and I have been calling our daughters "stinkers" all along, and it turns out WE'RE the actual stinkers.  Between my coffee breath and my stinky pits, I'm surprised the kids let me snuggle them at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment