Thursday, August 16, 2012

Books and Drawings

Julia's newest novel debuted last evening, inspired, perhaps, by the dinner I was putting together at the time she wrote it. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

VEBEGETABLE


Page one shows us what is probably Julia and Madeleine's very favorite vebegetable, the red pepper:






Page two gives us a glimpse of Julia's least favorite vebegetable, the zucchini.  I can see how the middle green blob can be interpreted as a zucchini squash laying horizontally.  I'm not sure what to make of the little green balls on either end:



Page three is another beloved household vebegetable, the carrot.  I think Julia expended the majority of her artistic effort on the red peppers.  By the time she got to the carrotss, I think she was running out of steam.  Either that, or she truly imagines carrotss to have spiky fangs coming out of their sides:

In addition to writing and illustrating her new book, Julia also drew a picture of the Fab Five, aka the Olympic gold-medalist American women's gymnastics team:

If you're wondering why there are only four of the Fab Five shown here, that's because for some reason the last gymnast is on the back of the paper:

I'm not sure which of the five gymnasts this is supposed to be, nor am I sure why she has big flappy yellow duck feet, but I do like the huge, face-consuming smile on her face.  Now that's Olympic spirit!

Madeleine, meanwhile, drew a picture of two unidentifiable gray blobs:

I asked her to describe what she'd drawn to me, and even she didn't know what they were.





1 comment:

  1. I'm really curious to know which gymnast is which (in particular, which one is Gabby Douglas and who's the one with the yellow hair???)

    ReplyDelete