Monday, June 11, 2012

Julia Rocks Out

Recently, when I picked up the girls from the YMCA baby-sitting after finishing my workout, the child care director came up to me and said, "Your daughter was singing and singing today.  She's got a beautiful voice!"  I asked which daughter, since they are both known to bellow indiscriminately in public places, and when the director told me it was Julia, I saw Julia glance up with alarm at the two of us.  "I heard you singing!" the director commented to Julia.  "You didn't know I was listening, but I was."  Now, considering the volume with which she sings her made-up tunes, and the fact that there is really no public place in which she seems self-conscious about breaking out into song, you'd think this comment would be taken simply as a compliment.  Julia instead looked somewhat embarrassed, though underneath her shock I could see her smothering a shy, self-pleased smile.  In the car on the way home, I asked Julia what she had been singing.

"Mom!" she hissed, mortified, as if I had just asked for intimate details on which boy she likes in middle school.  "Made-UP songs!"

I wonder if they were anything like this:




As a side note, I must offer a hearty thank-you to Yiayia for sending this Strawberry Shortcake coloring book and for providing the inspiration for such rockin' tunes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you're welcome. Glad I could inspire Julia to pursue her singing!! Hope she has fun coloring. XOXOXO Yiayia

    ReplyDelete