Sunday, October 23, 2011

Various goofy things

Today's blog post is a hodgepodge of various things that have gone on in the Rowe household over the past week. To start, Julia actually requested the subject material of today's blog, and asked to help me write it. So I am proud to present to you, for the next several sentences, my guest blogger, Julia (spelling of words provided by me, actual typing done by J herself):

Hi Julllia bbbbbbbbbug hurting tongue new water.
yeah, my parents don't watch tv a lot.

Just in case that didn't make blaringly obvious sense to you, I, your usual blogger, am back to provide clarification.

The first sentence is... who knows. She for some reason wanted to tell you all about how her tongue was hurting last night and she couldn't sleep.
The second sentence is Julia showing her ability to be sarcastic. She has been big on attempted sarcasm lately, which all came about from a discussion we had after one of my recent blog postings.

JULIA: I bet when Daddy reads your blog about Madeleine trying to bonk me with the hammer, he'll be like, 'Great,' because he'll be being SARCASTIC!
ME: You're right. I can just picture Daddy saying 'Great' or 'Awesome' when he reads that. Did you know I say a lot of sarcastic things on my blog? I say things like, 'My kids are not weird AT ALL.' Because you girls really are big kooks! Just like your parents!
JULIA: My parents are not weird AT ALL! (cracking up.)
ME: That's so funny!
JULIA: My parents are not fun AT ALL! (cracking up even more.)
ME: You're so good at being sarcastic.
JULIA: My parents... don't... eat anything!
ME: (fake laughter)
JULIA: My parents... don't... live... in this house!

While she seems to recognize sarcasm as soon as she hears it, she has a bit of a way to go in terms of being able to reproduce it with accuracy. She hasn't quite learned that there's a difference between a simple untrue fact and a sarcastic comment... but at least she's starting to get it.

On the topic of the kids' sense of humor, one of their favorite comic antics of late is to tell me to eat various disgusting things in order to elicit a response from me ("Ewww! That's so GROSS!") Julia started it one day as we sat in the bathroom with Madeleine on the potty, telling me to eat my tongue or something like that. The game then escalated into ridiculousness, with both girls telling me to eat this and that and me being stuck repeating my outraged, grossed-out response. Madeleine has since adopted this as her favorite game to play any time she's on the potty. This is a pretty accurate representation of how our dialogue usually goes:

MADELEINE: Eat your HIGHBALL!
ME: Eww! Eat my eyeball! That's so GROSS!
MADELEINE: (delighted) Eat... (glancing around the bathroom) your TOILET PAPER!
ME: Eww! That's so GROSS!
MADELEINE: Eat your HIGHBALL! (giggling wildly)
ME: EWW! GROSS!
MADELEINE: (glancing around) Eat... your GARBAGE!
ME: Eww! Eat my garbage! Gross!
MADELEINE: Eat your HIGHBALL! (cracking up with glee)
ME: YUCK!! Madeleine, eat your highball!
MADELEINE: Ew dat's so gwoss. Eat... your HIGHBALL! (raucus, uncontrollable laughter.)

It's a lot of fun, let me tell you.

And finally, since Halloween is approaching, both girls have enjoyed trying to be spooky and scary. Madeleine, in fact, gets so wrapped up in her whole growling "I being SCAAAARY!" routine that it can take us forever to walk home from the bus station or wherever it is we're walking from when she goes into scary mode. Here's a video of her getting increasingly out of control with scariness in the kitchen:

No comments:

Post a Comment