Saturday, October 29, 2011

Another Julia video, and Franklin Park Howl

Julia played a long, elaborate game of "store" today, in which she was the store owner and she was only 21 years old, but all the older workers left her to work at the store all by herself. I was one of the store's most faithful customers (well, really, its only customer) and I got to bring Julia my various items for purchase and have her scan them (swiping them across her Winnie the Pooh computer while saying "boop!") and then bag them (in a Trader Joe's brown bag from Ethan's grocery shop today) and then I had to sign for my credit card with a twist-top crayon across the computer screen. Then I would go home and put my groceries away and take care of my only child, Madeleine, while 21-year-old Julia slaved away at her job in the store. The game was complete with a long, lamenting song by Julia about her tough lot in life and her wish for things to change. Unfortunately, I didn't get her song on video, but I was able to get a little of the game on camera, as she battled with her conscience and realized that her friend (whose name is so ornately complicated I can't even remember how to pronounce it) is right that she should be at work.



Later on in the game, Julia came to baby-sit my daughter Madeleine while I was at yoga class, but then they got really rambunctious together and our downstairs neighbor rang the doorbell to ask us to quiet down and that was the end of "store."

On another note, this morning Ethan and I took the girls to Franklin Park for their Halloween howl, during which the kids got to ride on a hayride, travel through a "haunted maze," trick-or-treat for candy, and, of course, show off their Halloween costumes. As we walked towards the trick-or-treat trail, Madeleine proved that she really understands the Halloween ritual when she exclaimed, "I so excited go trick-or-treat at GRANDMA'S HOUSE!!"

Grandma's house did not disappoint, and both girls delightedly enjoyed one of the lollipops from their loot pile on our car ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment