Sunday, June 19, 2011

Vacation ends

We Rowes are all a bit sad to be home and back to reality after such a fabulous vacation. While yesterday was a loooooong day of traveling, we were at least able to spend the day before, our last full day, thoroughly enjoying ourselves in every imaginable way. Madeleine found even more new ways to get herself into mischief, such as opening the door leading from Auntie Shannon's apartment out into the hallway, completely ignoring me when I reprimanded her, and running out into the hallway all the way down to the elevator before I was able to catch her. Or, if that doesn't strike you as mischievous enough, here's this example: after going for a swim, I brought her up to the bathroom (her bedroom) to get her into dry clothes and into her crib, only to realize I had left all the diapers in the living room. I had already stripped her down nude, so I stuck her on the potty for a minute, figuring if there was any imminent pee it would come out in the potty. When nothing happened after about 30 seconds, I put her back down on the floor, dashed out of the room to grab a diaper, only to be greeted by the sight of my darling little imp splashing around in her puddle of pee on Auntie Shannon's bathmat, clomping around on the floor around it to make pee-prints with her feet. All I can say is: I should have known.

We spent our last day exploring some Atlanta hot spots we'd never visited before: the Childrens' Museum, and Centennial Olympic Park. (Thanks for the wonderful suggestion, Cousin Jessica!!) The girls could not have been more excited about the museum. It had everything one could think of for kids who love pretend play - Julia and Auntie Shannon had an elaborate game of "Halloween" in which they picked their pumpkins at the farm and went home to carve them and prepare an autumn harvest dinner, while Madeleine got to chuck balls around and stick her hands in the sand table. I think they could have stayed there for hours on end, had the museum not closed about an hour after we arrived. Not to worry, though; we next headed to Centennial Olympic Park so the girls could cool off the in the fountains, which was a whole new exciting adventure.

Now, I must point out: here are pictures of my child who is afraid to even dip any part of her face in the pool water, who clutches onto us for dear life if we attempt to let her try floating or kicking her feet on her own in the shallow end:




And my other, fearless child? The one who carelessly plunges off the ledge of the swimming pool, who spontaneously dunks her entire head under the water while I'm swimming her around, who has no qualms about running off out of her aunt's apartment without a grown-up accompanying her? Absolutely terrified of the fountains. She wouldn't even go near them, but she was certainly happy enough to sit a substantial distance away and watch the kids frolicking:



We finished off the day with a grilled dinner out on the patio by Shannon's pool, a bottle of wine for the adults to share, an evening swim, and s'mores cooked in the fire pit for dessert. I don't think any of us could have imagined a better way to spend our last night together.

While it was bittersweet for us all to return home, it was Madeleine who provided the most unexpected lament. After we had settled in a bit, she began asking for Cinderella (aka Princess Mia), whom I had packed, along with other Little People, for the trip. I retrieved Cinderella from the suitcase and watched Madeleine squeal with delight as I handed the Little Person over, but apparently playing with Cinderella at our house just wasn't the same. "Aunt Georgia! Aunt Georgia!" Madeleine began to whimper. Unfortunately, though I was able to give her Cinderella, giving her Georgia was beyond my capabilities.

I expected the kids would be exhausted and sleep late this morning, but au contraire. Julia came to my bedside at 5am to deliver this really urgent piece of news: "Mama. Guess what? I was CONKED OUT."

I suggested she go try being conked out again.

Anyway, here we are, back in the Rowe household, ready to enjoy whatever new adventures come our way this summer. (And whatever they be, rest assured that you can read about them here!)

1 comment:

  1. Don't have adventures there. Just come back here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete