Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pony play

Julia had a long, elaborate pretend-play session with her My Little Ponies this morning. She has been obsessed with My Little Pony ever since viewing an episode of the tv show a few weeks ago. In her game, the ponies, who sadly no longer bear such imaginative names as Sand and Selena (thanks to her pony books and movies teaching her their actual, commercial names) fell down into a cave. Not to fear; they were all rescued, but things got a little tense as one last pony remained stuck in the cave. Here is a transcript of the game as the plot thickened:

NARRATOR: Pinkie Pie fell back into the cave.
STARLIGHT: You're gonna stay in the cave?
PINKIE PIE: I am! Because I am Refusing Pony!
STARLIGHT: Do you think that's ever the way to go? To refuse a pony and stay in jail because you refuse a pony?
BUTTERCUP: Let's go ask the other ponies.
STARLIGHT: (Approaching the group of ponies who are no longer in the cave.) Rainbow Dash, who can go down in the cave by getting on her back, let me do.
RAINBOW DASH: All right. (Down in the cave) I'll save you! Jump on!
NARRATOR: (musical interlude, which sounded something like a series of ascending scales as Pinkie Pie was flown up and out of the cave) Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun!
SCOOTALOO: I want Starlight to be the one to fly us all around the world and get prizes. (To Starlight): Use your heart inside your body, okay?
NARRATOR: Musical interlude, hummed by Julia.
STARLIGHT: (flying through the sky)
NARRATOR: Minty! Go up and you will get a prize.
MINTY: I will?
NARRATOR: Scootaloo! For Scootaloo, the kindness of a grown-up.
SCOOTALOO: (goes up and gets her prize.)
NARRATOR: Snowdrop's turn.
SNOWDROP: I don't want a prize.
STARLIGHT: Do you think that's nice? To not take a prize when you're supposed to go get your prize?
BUTTERCUP: I don't want a prize, either!
RAINBOW DASH: I'm flyiiiiiing to get a prize. I don't wanna not get mah prahze!
NARRATOR: And the last one, Pinkie Pie, who was brave enough to just go down in the cave, but couldn't get down without her friend Rainbow Dash! The two winners have been. And their friends to be together!
PINKIE PIE: And my best friend is gonna go away, to be in Ponyville? But... but... but...
RAINBOW DASH: I know it's hard when your best friend is going to a new house. But I know that we'll have play-dates again.
(Rainbow Dash falls off the table) Pinkie Pie! You're knocking me off the cliff!
RAINBOW DASH: Just use this, so we're always in touch with each other. You always use hearts.
PINKIE PIE: But I don't have my heart! So we can't be in touch!
NARRATOR: She blows her air and sprinkles a heart on her, a blue heart.

So after the drama of being stuck in the cave, Pinkie Pie wound up with a heart, and we had a happy ending after all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sensing this might be about Jovina a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlyn - I thought the exact same thing as I overheard her!

    ReplyDelete