Friday, March 4, 2011

Hot oil and mashed potatoes

Yesterday, while I was cooking dinner, I managed to splatter my face with hot oil from the cast-iron pan. As I sat with an ice pack on my cheek, Julia very helpfully had the following observation: "Mom, I guess you're NOT the smart one, because you keep doing silly things like whacking your head and burning yourself, so I guess Daddy is really the smart one. You thought you were the smart one, but I guess you're not." She just wanted to make sure she set the record straight on that one. How sensitive and caring of her.

She has also been talking a lot about the idioms used in one of her favorite books, "The Big Orange Splot." She wanted to understand what sayings such as "he lost his marbles," "he has bats in his belfry," and "he slipped his hawser" mean. After I explained, a few nights ago, that they are all ways to say that someone is acting crazy, she has been coming up with her own idioms to express the same sentiment. I think my favorite was: "Mom, if I wanted to say that I was acting crazy, I would say I mashed my potatoes!" Another of her ideas was to say "I dropped the ice cream out of my cone onto the ground." Maybe next time I whack my head or burn myself, she can tell me, "Mommy, I think you've mashed your potatoes."

No comments:

Post a Comment