Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ball skills

As a long-distance runner who married a former ski racer (turned long-distance runner,) I don't really have a lot of experience playing sports that use equipment of any sort. Specifically balls. While I had a 2-year stint as softball player in middle school, that was the extent of my team-sports-that-utilize-balls endeavor. I had mentioned to Ethan recently that I should probably be doing more throwing, catching, kicking, etc with Julia to help her develop at least some skills in those areas. She does a lot of walking and running, just like her parents, and she loves her gymnastics class, so it's not like she's lacking sport or exercise, but since neither Ethan nor I have much interest in ball games of any sort, we have been somewhat remiss in introducing such sports to our daughters. The extent of my neglect in this area has been made clear to me over the past few days.

For example, I took the kids outside to play the other day, since our backyard is now finally snow-free. I decided to try a one-on-one game of kickball with Julia, so I briefly explained the rules, then pointed out where the bases would be. (Home plate: the folded-up green lawn chair. First base: the little toddler house. Second base: the other green lawn chair, standing up. Third base: the slide.) Julia managed to kick the ball when I rolled it to her, then I guided her from base to base, throwing the ball and deliberately missing her each time she was en route to the next base. After she reached home plate, I told her it was my turn to kick and her turn to roll.

"Okay, Mommy. First you have to run to that bouncy house, then you have to run to the tree, then you have to run over to the sandbox, then you have to run to the picnic table, then you have to run to the slide..." she rambled, unaware of the fact that this was not intended to be a game in which each player completely makes up the rules upon her turn to pitch. However, she's 4, and has a great imagination, so I followed her zig-zag path between bases, and watched her throw the ball straight up into the air over and over in an attempt to tag me out. Rules of kickball: not absorbed. Fun while playing a made-up ball game: achieved.

Then, this morning, Ethan and I took the kids to the church nearby our house to attend their fund-raiser carnival. Julia had a great time in the moonbounce, getting her face painted, and playing the various carnival games. One of the games was kiddie basketball toss. She was told she would get three attempts to get the ball in the hoop. First try: she stood directly underneath the net and threw the ball up through it, from the bottom. Second try: after I explained that she was supposed to get it up and over and through the hoop, she backed up, then threw the ball straight up into the air and slightly behind her. Third try: same thing. Fourth and fifth try (she was given a few extra turns): same thing.

"Great job! You get a prize!" the person running the game kindly and enthusiastically exclaimed.

Julia did prove where her athletic strengths lie, however, on our way home, during which she was required to walk (or usually skip), since Ethan had taken Madeleine home in the stroller earlier. Julia does a great job keeping up with her parents on foot and quite enjoys walking to various nearby locations. Her creative, imaginative spirit is still at the forefront whether she's playing kickball or walking, though. Today's walk home was accompanied by the following: (while flapping her arms and skipping along gleefully): Cutie patoots PIIIIIIIIIIIIIE! Cutie patoots PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE! Cutie patoots PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that with a little practice, she'd be at any sport she pursued. Love, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I meant be GREAT at any sport she pursued. Love, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete