Friday, March 11, 2011

Multi-word constructs

While Madeleine is not at the point of putting together subjects and verbs, she has been stringing together multiple words (or nonsense syllables.) Sometimes it's clear to me where she picked up these phrases, although I'm not entirely sure where others come from. Here's a summary of the various multi-word constructs she utters on a regular basis:

-"Atzat" - which has now become more of an "Atz Dat?" (We already know this one, of course. We have all heard it maaaaany maaaaaany times.)

-"No no touch." (That one is obvious. As commented upon in a previous post, it comes from me, since I'm constantly telling her not to touch the things she wants to get her hands all over.)

-"Goo goo ga ga!" (That comes from Dora the Explorer "Super Babies." Dora's baby brother and sister can't talk yet and can only say "Goo goo! Ga ga!" Now Madeleine says it all the time.)

-"Say 'backpack!' Map!" (Again, from Dora. Seeing as pediatricians recommend that children under 2 watch zero hours of television a day, I'm scoring points as supermom here with my 17-month old who can repeat whole phrases from Dora the Explorer.)

-"Ding dong, ding dong!" (I have no idea where she picked that one up; possibly from hearing Julia's pretend play?)

-"B! Buh!" and "D! Duh!" (She got that from me, since I always name the letter and then demonstrate the letter sound when I read her the ABC book that has recently become her obsession.)

-"Oh no!" (Not sure about this one, but she could have learned it from any of us.)

-"Apples train." (????)

I tried to get her to say some of the above on camera, without tremendous success. She either repeated phrases so quietly it was hard to catch, or she was so interested in the camera she would respond "Mama?" or "Atz Dat?" to everything I asked her to repeat, or she was too busy trying to jam a Disney princess magic wand down her throat to speak clearly. But you may be able to hear some of it; at the very least, I think there's a pretty clear "bapboom" in there:

No comments:

Post a Comment