Saturday, May 16, 2020

There Are Two Parents Here

The kids seem to have forgotten that they have not just one, but TWO parents at home every day.

Thursday, I was heading out for a run and told both kids.  I was especially insistent on making sure Madeleine knew where I was going.

ME: (making eye contact) Okay, Madeleine.  I'm going for a run.
MADELEINE: Okay.
ME: (kissing her on the cheek) I love you.  I'll see you in a little while.
MADELEINE: Okay.
ME: I'm going running, okay, got it?
MADELEINE: Yup.

I returned home from my run to find the following page+ of messages from Madeleine:



ME: Madeleine, remember I told you I was going for a run?
MADELEINE: I forgot.
ME: And, you know, if I'm not here, you can always ask Daddy.
MADELEINE: Yeah. I know. But I just really felt like asking MOMMY.

I can see why.  It worked out so well for her.

Today, when I went out for a run, I not only told both kids, but I actually happened to cross paths with Julia TWICE.

Nevertheless, when I returned home from my run, my phone had these messages:



Again, she could have texted the parent who was at home and could have gone to pick her up if need be.  The girls both know I don't usually have my phone on runs, and if I do, I am not going to stop a thousand times to check texts.

But, who knows.  Maybe Julia *knew* she could text Daddy, but she just REALLY felt like texting Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment