Friday, May 8, 2020

More Poetry

Madeleine received her elementary school yearbook yesterday, and spent much of the afternoon perusing its pages.  She was especially taken by a poem posted on the first page, "Don't Quit" by John Greenleaf Whittier.  And because she's Madeleine, she was then inspired to write her OWN inspirational poem.





What Makes Me ME

Quarantine hit me harder than expected
I thought it might be fun, but I sure was wrong
All the things I loved are now neglected
And now here I am, ready to sing my own song

I thought my story would be pretty boring
Nothing would go wrong, but I’d still go on soaring
So if you can hear me right now, if you can hear my voice
Tell me what YOU want, because we all have a choice

I want quarantine to be gone
It’s going on for far too long!
I hate all this social distancing
When will I get back to swim practicing?

And when the memories flood
Right back into my head
I want to just cry
And sob
I can’t fly!
But I can
I just have to keep calm
I just have to stay positive
I just have to stay strong

So if I stay strong
And if I stay calm
And if I stay positive
And if I stay kind
I can help out the world
And the world can help me
And eventually
I’ll have made my change
And now I’m learning
That change is what makes me ME.

-Madeleine Rowe


Again, because she's Madeleine, she became extremely self-conscious and embarrassed by my effusive praise of her poem, so by the time I persuaded her to read it to Ethan, she had to do it like this:



We Rowes deal with praise so gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment