Saturday, May 23, 2020

Can't Everybody Just?

MADELEINE: Mommy!  I came up with a musical EXPERIMENT.
ME: Okay.
MADELEINE: So.  Wanna try it with me?
ME: Okay.
MADELEINE: So, try and see if you can say this exactly the same way I do: "Can't. Everybody. Just."
ME: "Can't. Everybody. Just."
MADELEINE: Okay! So, now, we're gonna do it in, kind of like, a round.  So I say "can't" and then when I go to "everybody," you start with "can't."
ME: All right.
MADELEINE: I'll say it one time through first, so wait until the SECOND time I say "can't."
ME: Got it.
MADELEINE: "Can't.  Everybody.  Just.  Can't"...etc
ME: (coming in) Can't...etc

We cycled through several times in spoken form, and I told Madeleine it was very cool.

MADELEINE: Yeah. I was trying to compose something that sounds, like, CLASSICAL.
ME: Is it gonna have notes too, or is it just spoken?
MADELEINE: Uh, yeah, it has notes.  I came up with: (singing a melody along with the text.)
ME: Oh, that sounds cool.
MADELEINE: Yeah, but I'm not sure yet how it's gonna sound together...
ME: Let's try it!

So we tried it in sung form.  It turned out to be pretty cool:






I think this kid might have inherited some composer genes!

No comments:

Post a Comment