Thursday, November 21, 2019

Flippy Shirt Surprise

Flippy shirts are all the rage in the elementary school right now.  If you're not in the know, flippy shirts are tees with a sequined design on them.  When you run your hand along the sequins, they flip into the opposite direction and the sequins change color.  It's AH-MAH-ZING.

Madeleine recently discovered, to her disappointment, that her Christmassy tee-shirt no longer fits her, so I bought her a flippy gingerbread shirt as an early holiday gift.  She's wearing this new shirt for the first time today.  As she lay on the couch this morning, she decided to have a dramatic enactment of her gingerbread man flipping colors.

MADELEINE: Wait.  Mommy.  Say something SURPRISING. (hand poised to flip the gingerbread man in response to my surprising announcement.)

I was on the spot, and couldn't think of anything.  I was also trying to see Julia out the door on her way to the bus.  I racked my brain and wound up just saying the first thing I could think of.

ME: I have two buttholes.

To Madeleine's credit, despite the fact that she *CLEARLY* wasn't expecting this kind of "surprising" comment, she carried through with flipping her gingerbread man to complete the enactment.  It wasn't until later on that we could giggle about the whole scenario, and run it again, with me announcing (much more appropriately) "I just won the lottery!"

So yeah.  The preschool teacher who is constantly reminding her class that we don't do potty talk at school just told her own kid "I have two buttholes"* when pressed for something surprising to say.  Now THAT is some solid parenting.



*I do not, in fact, have two buttholes.

1 comment: