Sunday, September 22, 2019

Night Time Fears

So, Julia came into the bedroom at 2:30 am to tell me she thought she's seen an intruder in the yard.

JULIA: I think I saw a person out the window in our backyard.
ME: You did?
JULIA: Yeah.  And he was wearing a Plague Doctor mask.
ME: Okay, no, I'm sure there's no one in a Plague Doctor mask in our backyard.
JULIA: But it really looked like it.
ME: Well, just make sure the back door is locked.
JULIA: (gripping my hand in terror) Come WITH me.

We went and looked out the back door.  I saw nary a Plague Doctor.

ME: I don't see anything.
JULIA: It looked more like it when the LIGHTS were off.
ME: Okay.  (turning off the kitchen lights) Let me see.
JULIA: (clutching my hand in terror) Stay with me!
ME: Let's look together.
JULIA AND I: (peering into the blackness of the backyard)
ME: Um.
JULIA: See?  Doesn't it look like it?  Behind the grill?
ME: No.

I sent Julia back to bed but it took many more assurances that there was not a Plague Doctor in our backyard before she could leave my side.  I mean, even if there was a Plague Doctor out there, what was he going to do?  Cure us all of the plague?

I guess Julia might not be able to wear her costume on Halloween because she might scare her own self.

1 comment: