Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Talk of Spring

Discussion with Madeleine on the way home from swim practice.


MADELEINE: Mommy?  You know why I'm excited to be in HIGH SCHOOL - uh, (laughing) - even though it's a LONG time away?
ME: Why?
MADELEINE: Because teenagers who are in high school can go for runs by themselves, and *I* want to go on a run, but I'm too little.
ME: Oh, well you could go for a run around our block.  I used to let Julia do that when she was your age.
MADELEINE: You DID?!?
ME: Yeah.  It's only a half mile.
MADELEINE: Oh!  Well, maybe I'll do that when it gets warmer.
ME: Yeah, like in the spring.
MADELEINE: Weeeell.  Mommy.  I think I'll wait for MID-spring.
ME: Yeah, it's not likely that in a couple of weeks it will suddenly really feel like spring even though it will officially change seasons.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  And besides.  The beginning of spring is, like, the WORST time.  It's SLUSHY, sometimes snowy-
ME: And usually cold.
MADELEINE: But in MID-SPRING, ohhh, you can be in a tee-shirt, maybe even a TANK TOP, and just HANG AROUND on the monkey bars, and...AHHH, it's so FRESH and you can finally get to see GRASS again!  And you can smell flowers.  Oh, I *love* smelling the flowers in spring!  I love going around our garden on the weekend when it's so breezy but warm, just smelling all the flowers in our garden!


Well.  Madeleine sure waxed poetic on that topic.  I was not expecting such an eloquent response.  Her description of spring sure gives me something to look forward to, as I gaze out the window at the 15 inches of snow in our yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment