Sunday, August 27, 2017

Vacation, Day 6

Today is our last full day of vacation, and we decided to do a family hike to truly SEE Salt Lake City, from above.  The kids were troopers about hiking the mountain trails, with Julia exclaiming, "I *like* hiking!" and Madeleine proclaiming, "I think this hike is gonna make me EVEN MORE FIT than when I swam a one hundred butterfly!!"



In fact, both kids wanted to continue hiking higher, past the point where Ethan had planned for us to turn around.

ETHAN: Okay.  Let's start up this trail here, but we'll turn around after a few minutes.
MADELEINE: I wanna go all the way to the top!
JULIA: Me too.
ETHAN: Well, let's just go a few minutes more.
MADELEINE: All the way!
JULIA: Yeah!

Julia began leading the way up higher.

ETHAN: Keep an eye out for snakes.
JULIA AND MADELEINE: (in panicked unison) Snakes!?!?!?

So that was the end of that.  We started heading down after all.

During the steepest pitches, we all had to go slowly and carefully.  Madeleine was the first to wipe out.

MADELEINE: (slipping on to her butt) Of COURSE!

Madeleine had a second wipe-out before Julia had one, but Julia's fall left her back and butt covered in dirt.

JULIA: Oh, GREAT.  I look like I pooped in my pants!

Despite our difficulties getting down, the girls loved their hiking experience, and they were especially thrilled that we didn't encounter any snakes!

After our hike, we stopped by the Cathedral of the Madeleine so that our Madeleine could pose by the sign:


Mass had just gotten out, so there were crowds of dressed up congregants milling about outside the church.  There was also a homeless man holding a sign, and the kids begged me for some money to give to him.  I let Madeleine give him a dollar, and as we walked back towards our car, she contemplated the situation.

MADELEINE: I don't think any of those people even NOTICED that poor man.  They all seemed like they were, like, too interested in FASHION.

Ahh, bless the bleeding hearts of my children!

We are headed to dinner for our last night, at the place where Madeleine had beans that were OUT OF THIS WORLD, so it should be a great final evening of vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment