Wednesday, February 1, 2017

More Trump Talk

Yet another dinner time Donald Trump discussion:

JULIA: I hope Donald Trump does something really stupid to get himself impeached.
ME: Me too.
MADELEINE: Yeah!  I hope he...like...forgets to bring his PEANUT BUTTER to everyone or something.
ME: You hope he what?!?
MADELEINE: Forgets to bring his peanut butter to everyone.
ME: What does that have to do with anything?
MADELEINE: Like, if, he's like: (raising her right hand) I promise to bring peanut butter to every single person.
ME: And then he breaks his promise?
MADELEINE: Yeah.  (thoughtful) I hope he doesn't bring it to the people in my class that are allergic, though.


Wow.  Does Madeleine have a solid idea of what a president's duties are, or what?!?


It seems impossible to avoid hearing about Donald Trump lately.  The topic came up again in the car on our way home from Julia's swim practice, as she overheard discussion of Trump on NPR.  The radio host was talking about Trump's disregard for established precedent thus far in his first weeks in office.

JULIA: Mommy?  Do some people, like, pronounce "president" like "press-a-dent?"

I then launched into an explanation of what the word "precedent" means, but Julia's thoughts turned back to her dream of impeaching Donald Trump.

JULIA: Mommy?  I feel like, if Donald Trump ever got impeached, he would be, like, super, duper, DUPER mad.
ME: I'm sure he would.
JULIA: Like, RAGING.
ME: I bet he would be.
JULIA: But Mommy?  Why is it called "impeached?"
ME: I don't really know.  I don't know the root behind the word.
JULIA: It shouldn't be called "impeached." That sounds weird. It sounds like you're in a PEACH.

Maybe that's the secret behind it.  Maybe, like in "James and the Giant Peach," a president who is impeached and convicted is put inside a giant peach and rolled out to sea, never to return to office again.  I think Trump would enjoy that, because he'd get to be inside a GREAT peach.  The biggest peach!  You know, maybe he wouldn't be so super duper duper raging mad after all, because he'd get to continue doing something unprecedentedly presidential!

No comments:

Post a Comment