Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Incident at the Pool

This afternoon, the girls and I went to the town pool to cool off, but before too long, Madeleine had an announcement.

MADELEINE: (swimming over to me) Mama?  There's POOP at the bottom of the pool!
ME: Oh, I doubt it's poop.  It's probably just dirt or something.
MADELEINE: But it LOOKS like poop.  And Mama?  I touched it!
ME: No, it can't really be poop.  If it was poop, they would have closed the pool.

So off she swam, on her merry way.

About fifteen minutes later, I saw a lifeguard entering the pool holding a big shovel and a plastic bag.

I started to have a sinking feeling in my stomach.

After some effort, he managed to get whatever he was looking for onto his shovel, and tossed it in the plastic bag.

ME: (to another, nearby lifeguard) What was that?
LIFEGUARD: Poop.

Yup.  So Madeleine had been right all along.  I immediately pulled the kids out of the pool so we could all go wash our hands.

But here's the real thing.  Besides wondering how the poop got into the deep end of the pool, what I really want to know is this: if Madeleine suspected there was a turd on the bottom of the pool, why in the name of God did she decide to touch it?!? 

BLECH.

No comments:

Post a Comment