Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Singing All Day...

Well, it just wouldn't be a regular old day in the Rowe household without some impromptu coloring book songs, now would it:






It wasn't long before things got really craaaazaaaay:





Evidence so far shows that Julia is not quite so bold at kindergarten as she is at home; during today's classroom visit, when the teacher led the kids in a song that Julia actually knows, Julia was feeling a bit shy about singing along.  However, I'm curious to learn whether, once she comes out of her shell a little more, she lets it all hang out and bellows her made-up songs in the middle of arts and crafts in the classroom.  I do give Julia credit for bravery (and uniqueness), though, since the teacher had encouraged any kids feeling shy about speaking in front of the class to approach her privately with any comments or questions.  After group time, Julia stood patiently in line with me to talk to her teacher, and as we stood there, I reminded her that I would not be speaking for her, since she needs to practice talking to her teacher at kindergarten without mommy's help.  And good for her, she did.  While also balancing on one leg like a flamingo.  The whole thing went something like this:

TEACHER: (gazing at Julia as we reached our turn in line) Hi, there!
JULIA: Hi.
TEACHER: And how are you?
JULIA: Um...my mom sings that song too.
TEACHER: She does?
JULIA: (nodding)
TEACHER: And do you like that song?
JULIA: (assuming her flamingo stance and nodding)
TEACHER: Isn't it a silly song?
JULIA: (flailing around to keep her balance in her flamingo stance, nodding)
TEACHER: And are you excited to come to school and sing it again tomorrow?
JULIA: (still a flamingo, tilting in the opposite direction of the teacher, nodding)
ME: (finally jumping in) Well, we'll see you tomorrow!  Thank you!

For a shy kid, not so bad for a first try.  Maybe tomorrow she'll be able to talk to the teacher while keeping both feet on the ground.

When we returned home, Madeleine, who had been watching "Tinker Bell" in our absence while Ethan worked in the other room, decided it was time for an early snack.  Ever one to make nonsensical, contradictory remarks, she initiated the conversation in a counter-intuitive fashion:

MADELEINE: Mommy, I'm so FULL!
ME: You are?  Do you need to go poop?
MADELEINE: No!  I'm so FULL!
ME: Okay.  Well, is your tummy hurting?
MADELEINE: (tears forming in her eyes) No, Mommy, I'm FUUUUUULLLL!
ME: Well, what would you like me to do?
MADELEINE: Um...I need something...in my MOUTH!
ME: Do you mean you're hungry?
MADELEINE: Oh, yes!  Mommy, I just need some snack, because I'm so so FULL.  I mean...I'm so HUNGRY.

Okay.  Got it.  At least I think so.  I have a feeling Madeleine won't hold back nearly as much as Julia when going in for her first day of preschool.  The real question, however, is: will her teachers have any idea what the heck she's talking about?  After all, Madeleine is the Very Full Caterpillar (soon to be butterfly) who doesn't like Skekses and doesn't know how to make the monkey bars so bigger.  What's not to understand there??

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha - well that pretty much sums up just what you told me on the phone!

    ReplyDelete