Friday, September 14, 2012

I Have Bangs

The girls got into a long and involved game of Little People this morning, complete with made-up songs.  Julia was particularly invested in her singing, delving into a musical number all about which Little People have bangs and why bangs are so great.  Unfortunately, she got a little camera shy as soon as she noticed I was attempting to film her, so in the video below she's not bellowing away with wild abandon the way she had been before I got the camera out.  Nevertheless, you'll get to hear her latest catchy little number, "I Have Bangs":

 

Even Madeleine is singing "I Have Bangs" as she meanders around the living room.  It's stuck in all of our heads.

Madeleine is also working on correcting some of her grammatical mistakes.  She has become wise to the fact that we all chuckle over her use of the non-existent word "am't," and has learned the proper negation thanks to Julia's somewhat bossy instruction that: "Madeleine, you don't say am't.  You need to say NO I'M NOT."  Ever since, Madeleine has been catching herself and rephrasing her "am'ts" correctly.  That is, until my little wise aleck realized it would get an even bigger laugh if she corrected herself incorrectly.  (If that makes any sense.)  For example:

ME: Madeleine, are you a boy?
MADELEINE: No, I am't!...No...I'm n-...no....I bam't!  (proudly turning to look at me with a big s@#t-eating grin on her face.)


She seems to put just as much careful thought into her choice of words even when she's being serious.  After a fall on the pavement this afternoon, which led to a scraped-open knee, she very bravely sat on the toilet seat while I cleaned her wound with warm water and then dabbed rubbing alcohol on it.  I knew it must be stinging, but she didn't shed a tear, instead, telling me, like a brave little trooper, "Mommy, I feel like I want to say 'OW!" 

Happily, she was able to recognize and acknowledge her stellar patience and bravery.  When I said to her, afterwards, "Madeleine, you were such a brave girl while I cleaned your cut.  I'm so proud of you.  Are you SUPER BRAVE?", she responded with, "Uh...YEAH!" rather than "No, I bam't."

2 comments: