Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tea party

Julia decided to have a tea party yesterday with a bunch of the play food from her play kitchen, and I was lucky enough to be invited. I had just finished a run and my post-run stretches, so I told Julia that after I hopped in the shower I would join her. While I was showering, she set the dining room table for our party, and couldn't wait for me to come see all the goodies. Or, as she put it, "Mama, wait til you come and see all the WHOLE WHEAT junky food on the table for you!"




Whew! I was so relieved to know that while I was eating my plastic play food I could still follow my pre-diabetes whole-grain diet. "And, Mama, I used PRETEND sugar!" she told me, making it all the more edible for me. As I sat down at the table to indulge, Julia offered me something invisible from one of her little play bowls. "Mama, this has milk in it, but the milk part is all eaten up, so you can have some," she told me, then held out a pitcher towards my tea cup. "This is rice milk, Mama. Would you like some?" I thanked Julia profusely for taking such care to prepare all the pretend food so that it was milk, sugar, and refined-flour free for her lactose-intolerant, pre-diabetic mother. And what a feast we had. The whole-wheat plastic donuts were especially delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment