Monday, October 14, 2019

Reading Help

Last night, Madeleine came into our bedroom to ask a really urgent question.

MADELEINE: Mommy or Daddy?  Whoever knows MORE about Alaska, can you help me understand something in my book?
ME: What it is you don't understand?
MADELEINE: Like, what happens in this chapter.

She handed me her book, "Diamond Willow," and I read through the chapter.  Good thing I know about Alaska, because I was able to discern that the chapter was told from the point of view of a twin in the womb. This twin was born second, only to have her elder twin sister die within a few days of birth. 

I explained this to Madeleine after reading.

MADELEINE: Huh?  But the twin sister turns into a DOG.

Uh-oh.  I guess I don't know as much about Alaska as I thought. 

I did read a book years back that referenced Inuit religious beliefs about the soul after death, but I do not remember anything about dead people turning into dogs or other animals.  However, I suggested to Madeleine that perhaps the spirit of the dead twin was transferred into the body of a dog.  That satisfied Madeleine enough to go back to her bedroom for the night.

Madeleine has since announced to me that she'd like me to read the entire book, because she thinks I'll like it, so we'll see if I had the right theory or not.  Either way, I'm bound to increase my knowledge about Alaska after reading this book, which is, after all, set in the aforementioned state. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, how intriguing. I never knew such a wood even existed. It's pretty beautiful. To find hidden messages in the diamond shape of the wood must be interesting. You'll have to read it Mom.

    ReplyDelete